Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Interface modules for the ER-301?

The Voltage Block is child’s play…just move a slider and instant voltage change. The FH-1 programming is certainly a dark art performed my magicians and alchemists, but I love both my VB and FH-1.

Voltage blocks is super easy. The concept is very good. It’s one of the easiest modules, considering it can do so much.
But it has its flaws… just 250 steps per fader.
Sometimes it can be very hard to make subtle adjustments, but if this is ok it’s a fantastic modul…

+1 for Voltage Block easiness. If you have messed with Parameter Locks on the Elektron machines or motion recording on the new Korg machines then you’ll know to operate it immediately.

I do wish you could set the range of voltages per channel.

It works great as sliders for opening up VCAs on the 301.

Yeah, I really like the Shuttle Control too. Very easy to program/configure, and just loaded with features. The connecting to a computer can be a minor annoyance but really it’s only when you’re setting up a new config. Really though, I don’t do that all that often since it holds 16 configs that can be recalled without a computer. Mostly I just use about 3 of those for over and over for most things.

Still getting new features too with MPE being a recent big one. And the creator Andreas is a very cool and helpful guy.

Kind of steep learning curve, documentation is robust. Pretty good on it now, if anyone needs some help let me know.

The fh-1 is sort of the King of midi to CV converters.

2d

I’ve read that they recently added HID support. Controlling Eurorack with a Wacom tablet is not too far away. :wink:

This is my only gripe about the VB as a controller - I wish it were a bit more precise. Still very effective and easy to use!

Edit: functionality clarification by @Evs

I am wondering if resolution is an issue on the expert sleepers FH-1 since midi is only 128 values.

Are you speaking of the limitations of the midi protocol or the fh-1 hardware? The DAC on the fh-1 is 14 bit and should be far more than you’d ever need.

2d

Well, I’m concerned that a fader controller hooked up to the FH-1 would only transmit 128 ‘steps’ and wouldn’t sound smooth when dialing something in.

Don’t know about the FH-1 but the Shuttle Control has a smoothing circuit, from the manual:

1. Control Uni/Bi – corresponds to Control Change value. Same as with velocity, it could be unipolar: from 0 to +5V, or bipolar from -5V to +5V.
    Shuttle Control has a 12 bit digital-to-analog converter that means all the voltage values at every CV output contain ~4 thou- sand values (4096 steps) for the full -5V/+5V range. Pitchbend messages by MIDI speci cations are 14 bit (over 16 thousand values) and sending (squeezing) them thru 12 bit DAC doesn’t feel that crucial for ears. In the opposite, Control Change messages themselves are 7 bit (127 values) and give audible 1-semitone ‘steps’ when controlling analog parameters, like a lter or pitch sweeps. That’s why we invented the No Damn Steps In CC (NDSICCTM) algorithm (patents pending). That means you may interprete ordinary MIDI CC values into CV and all the changes will be smooth and without audible steps. At the same time it is possible to make fast instant changes without portamento-alike effects.
    CC smoothed (uni/bi) corresponds to the CC translation with smoothing, however CC stepped (uni/bi) corresponds to straight- forward 7-bit stepped voltage output. Same as with pitchbend messages, choosing unipolar range for CC instead of bipolar will lower the resolution at that CV output from 12 to 11 bit.

Edit: Also, you could add an envelope follower unit after your input with a 1ms setting on both parameters to help resolve these issues.

I’d get with Os on muffs about this. His inclusion of HID devices in the latest firmware update would have me believe this is because he is wanting to support all kinds of high resolution controllers. The fh-1 is super powerful. It can do all of its midi to CV conversions and still has headroom for lfos on every output (up to 64),arpeggios on all outs, and a host of other things. I would imagine smoothing would be no problem.

This configurability is the main reason I went with the fh-1 over the other options.

2d

A definitive answer on this would be good :slight_smile:

The FH-1 has no smoothing [EDIT: I WAS WRONG. See the replies to this comment], I reckon, but it supports higher resolution CCs. From the manual:

Direct control
The level of the output is directly set from the MIDI CC. Use of high resolution MIDI CCs allows access to the full 14 bit resolution of the FH-1’s DACs.

High resolution (14 bit) MIDI CCs
CC numbers 0-31 in the above charts support high resolution (14 bit) operation. In this case, each CC has a fine control (LSB) CC numbered 32 places higher. E.g. CC 4’s fine control is CC 36. Normally this is handled transparently by MIDI devices that support 14 bit CCs, and you simply need to enable that mode on the hardware.

I found this in the manual:

Smoothing
Each output has a ‘smoothing’ setting (by default, MIDI channels 1/2, CCs 64-95). When enabled, a low pass filter is applied to the output to smooth sudden changes into an exponential response. Zero means off; other values apply progressively more smoothing, up to a time constant of about 1 second.
Smoothing applies to every function of the FH-1: direct CC control, LFOs, sequencers, etc. You may find it particularly useful to smooth out e.g. aftertouch response in a MIDI/CV converter, but it can also be applied creatively, for example to make new LFO shapes, or to introduce glide on a sequencer pitch CV.

Fantastic. I have not read it thoroughly enough. Thanks for finding this!

Yes, FH-1 has smoothing and one tends to use it because it gets steppy if you don’t. I haven’t tried the high resolution CC’s because frankly it’s a pain to configure. I’m using it with the Squarp Pyramid sequencer so it does give loads of control, trigger and sequence options.

By the way, this thread is really long, but I didn’t find anyone talking about MN Pressure Points? Have I missed it, because while I’m waiting for my ER-301 to arrive I am looking into buying one for more hands on control over the module. I though the gate combined with the pressure CV and pitch CV would be a great controller for the ER-301. Any ideas on this?

you can omit any number of channels from the incoming clock allready. just set the sequence lenght of that tracks you would like to omit to 1. the incoming cv or clock will do nothing to that track now…
of course, using those tracks for preset behavior will not be easy or maybe doable, did not try that. but offset works fine…

Oh geez :roll_eyes: it’s always the simple answers staring me right in the face. Thanks - back to only one gripe! :smile:

loving the levit8 with the 301, is so useful for “adding knobs” to the 301, also for offset and attenuation. also loving the arcade for manual gates and the nerseq for sequencing the 301. all these modules are surrounding the 301 for good reasons :star_struck: