Internal AUX Send/Return Bus Channel

Thought I’d take a little of the burden off of @NeilParfitt and make a new video. :slight_smile: This one was inspired by a chat with @phonk in another thread.

I have done a couple of things differently here to try to improve video and quality, so I’d be interested in any feedback on how well that did or didn’t work, if you have any.

Here we cover creating an internal in-channel AUX bus channel in a send/receive configuration one of the channel chains.

12 Likes

If I had one request about the audio/video quality it would be for you to repair the audio. The sound level is about half of three other videos I have open right now which are all at levels that meet my expectations. Otherwise, looks great so far.

1 Like

Thanks @Unity2k. Yeah, in particular the voice over is very low, isn’t it. I’ll see if I can fix that up next time around.

Ah I’ve been wanting to do something like this for ages! Thank you will try it out later.

1 Like

@Joe Nice One!!

Notice on your vid your scopes for mixer channels died. I had the same thing happen in my vid I’m posting now, except it was the input assign scopes. Not sure what killed it. Hrmmm…

You spawned an idea and I needed to try… with your idea and the .4 routing I was able to successfully create an Aux send, with a pre/post fader toggle of the send level. Sweeeet! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many thanks @Joe, further added to my proficiency with 0.4xx routings and functions. Much appreciated.

1 Like

I noticed that with the meters too while recording. Was going to watch and see if I could figure out when it happened.

That sounds really neat with the pre/post! And… oooh, another video coming! Yay! :slight_smile:

So, I did a test to see what the CPU savings were from having only 1 instance of Freeverb vs. 2 in this case. Interestingly, the CPU usage was the same for both. I would have predicted the bus channel would be lighter on CPU.

@odevices, do you think this is because the feed-forward latency is set to be tight at 128 samples?

If so, would it be crazy to allow this to be configured on a per feed basis? I would think an application such as this where you are just delaying and smearing the sound anyway could tolerate more latency in favor of CPU-friendliness without the ears noticing.

No idea if this is the actual cause of not seeing a CPU reduction, or how much work I might be asking for - just throwing it out there. :slight_smile:

Hey @Joe and @NeilParfitt, i was wondering if there was any way to do an aux send that would actually bus variable amounts of different units out of one of the other outputs on the 301. Joe turned me on to Neil’s video describing this for en entire chain. What i would like to do for instance, would be to have a multi unit drum rompler, and maybe some other mixers, that i could bus in separately variable amounts of each sound to an output that would be feeding an external effect… so maybe the snare would get sent but not the kick, or plenty of sauce on the one instrument and much less on another. I’d like to dial these in to taste instead of having the same wet/dry for everything. And using Joe’s method above, to add a control for this bus to each place i’d want it. I can’t figure out how to bus signals across to a different chain. Thanks guys!

I would put the pieces that I need to access globally into global chains. This is the cleanest approach in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks Brian. Will it be possible at some point to use locals and custom controls to send across to a different chain, or even backwards to a global which i could then route to a different chain? I had built it up as you suggested using globals but it got very complex and difficult to manage.

Did you put each voice into it’s own global chain and nothing else?

was just looking at @Joe’s video because I’m trying to set up an effects send aux bus and I was wondering… is it possible to grab the right channel of a sound source in the locals scope view? @Joe grabs a “copy” of the left in the video and I’m kind of stuck doing that in mine too. i’m working in a stereo track here so wondering how I can retain the stereo signal when assigning locals this way?

I’m thinking you can press the channel button of the side you want to grab? Can’t remember for sure.

correctomundo! thanks Joe

1 Like