Is it true the ER-301 outputs aren't DC coupled?

I know, I was theorizing that expandability via UART pins or other ports on a potential future daughterboard could be considered. Just an idea.

I just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding. :wink: There have been problems in the past.

1 Like

…It’s totally fine that Brian designed this with his goal in mind, I am not trying to change that for him but I use it the way I use it…

Regarding your viewpoint, I know there are other ways, but that’s not what I asked though.
I’ve got some of the best results by not using modules/VSTs they were they were “supposed” to.
So all I asked is if there is a way to replace some components that would expand the original capabilities :slight_smile:

Saying it again here: there are already 2-3 existing modules that would be ideal ER-301 CV output expanders via I2C. I expounded in the development thread. This is just a problem in search of a champion.

Edit: oops meant to reply to @x2mirko

2 Likes

patiently awaiting the day that this happens…txo/txi/ansible

I thought the er-301 could only do i2c input.

That’s a limitation of the software, not the hardware.

That makes sense. I guess it is all just pulses, are there pins you can use on the olimex though?

We’re already using the right pins :sweat_smile: UART0_TX and _RX are two of the AM3352’s dedicated SCL and SDA pins.

1 Like

So are there 2 modules that give CV/Gate expansion or is to a potential you are talking about?
SW limitation or not, is it working, at present?

It does not work right now. It could work, if someone wrote the software for it (which is possible, as the firmware is now open source). There is no particular hardware limitation that prevents it from working.

The amount of literature and poetry written about the difference between ‘could’ and ‘do’ is equal to none…:wink:

i may have this totally wrong, but isn’t i2c insufficient (transmission rate-wise) for a lot of kinds of CV?

I tend to agree with this. I2C is less than 3x the bandwidth of MIDI, and that bandwidth is shared across all connected devices for both “input” and “output”. It’s not really suitable for streaming, it’s much more command-oriented and even then it’s a pretty poor fit for timing-sensitive uses.

When your output expander (TXo) has built in slew controls, LFOs, clocks, etc, the transmission rate limit becomes academic.

i mean… i have a TXo, i know it can output audio rate oscillators, etc but that’s from its onboard cpu… that’s not really the same thing as relaying info from an ER-301 at audio rate

Would it be possible to use the SPI bus on the SOM?

Probably, but to me it sounds like a great way to turn this software exercise into TWO software exercises and a hardware design. We’ve got some seriously low-hanging fruit to be picked and y’all are talking about the shiniest apple at the top of the tree.

@odevices are both MCASP ports in use, or just one? That might be the most whizz-bang option for real-time CV if y’all could find a DC-coupled I2S DAC or use something with dithering.

1 Like

Sadly it is my nature, scope creep is an old friend to me.

2 Likes

All used up or the pins have been mux’ed for other purposes.

2 Likes