iTWOc, midi to i2c adapter

my question was more for the practical side - does this result for example in midi note data coming into the 301 as an i2c input, if so what is the mapping?

yes it comes into the 301 as i2c data, the converter device is essentially and Arduino, which takes the midi data, converts it to i2c and send it to the 301 on the back pins described in the wiki. I cant really remember the mapping haha, but i had some mono channels and also some poly channels, where the incoming midi notes would rotate trough different i2c channels, so you could easily setup a poly synth in the 301 and play it as a regular poly synth with a midi keyboard. i also had some cc channels. Gonna look into this sometimes soon, but i think i made a better explanation previous in this thread about the mapping

YES, im just a bit insecure about my code and pcb skills :frowning:

That’s awesome! I wish I could help with this somehow.

Did anyone manage to use CVx with er-301 ?

I have added a simple midi protocol implementation to the sweet sixteen fader module.
So it is possible to send triggers from GESS to E-301. The USB Port is used to send midi trigger and notes to the er-301 over i2c.
by interest, i can give an alternativ Firmware. More implementations are possible.
The Code is in git GitHub - M4ngu/Sweet-Sixteen: Sweet Sixteen eurorack module by Tesseract Modular as pull Request.

3 Likes

Great! I’ll have a look at it tonight!

Can one really just use the USB input with midi notes and output pitch cv on the ER301 along with the triggers? Does it mean you do not need the GESS?
(edit: my Sweet Sixteen is not a mk2 anyhow…)

That is correct. It dosent need the GESS. The GESS adds 8 more triggers into the er-301 but it is not needed for the midi part (16x cv+trigger).
The GESS Part is now addet to the master branch of the original module code. The Midi Part is at this time in pull request.

2 Likes

Is it correct that if I’d compile your fork the functionality should be there? I am not the most techy person but would like to see if this way I could theoretically convert the oxi one midi out to i2c messages on the Er301.

Yes. That is correct. This translates all signals arriving at the USB midi channel into tr trigger and cv. Monophonic and starting at teletyp channel 21 for midi 1.
Should I link my firmware for the teensy lc here?

2 Likes

That would be cool, yes!

Here ist the Link:
https://github.com/ralbring/Sweet-Sixteen/blob/master/firmware/Sweet_3.ino.hex

1 Like

Hey how exactly did you implement it? I would love to send different midi notes on different sc.tr and midi cc to sc.cv. tried to understand the firmware but honestly im a bit lost. haha maybe you can help me pointing on the right pieces of code. That would be really awesome!!!

It works perfect! thanks man. now is it easy to implement midi cc to specific sc.cv?

The one with the midi notes on different triggers is already present on midi channel 10. There from C3 triggers are triggered from tr21 on.
The implementation of cc is not complex I think. I could implement them from cv60 or where should they end up? How do you imagine that?

1 Like

Ah perfect so I can use it as a drum track then!! I think 20 cc / cv per channel are enough :D. man that’s already crazy. I playing around with the hapax sequencer and the er301 and that so much fun!

This is amazing! Thanks @ralbring for making this happen and sharing!

I have a sweet sixteen mk2 (and gess) that has the teensy 3.2/3.1 hardware… any possibility of compiling a .hex for this hardware version and sharing? Im a bit of a noob with all this and would like to know it a correctly working file.

@ralbring already did this as I had also pointed this out.
So cool of him, both versions are here: Sweet-Sixteen/firmware at master · ralbring/Sweet-Sixteen · GitHub
I just spent a good while sequencing sample players via midi. So much fun.

I have opened a separate thread on the subject.
https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com/t/midi-and-gnss-implementation-on-sweetsixteen

1 Like