Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Just starting with the ER-301? Ask Your Questions Here!

Welcome. The most efficient way is probably to use the Sample Pool manager in the Admin area. There is a replace sample function that will replace the sample in the places it’s in use.

3 Likes

You could also load multiple samples into one buffer and adjust the slice parameter to choose between them.

3 Likes

another way is save a manual grains preset for each sample you want to access.
then when you want to change sample you just load up a new preset.

6 Likes

@hyena @warpigs330 @Joe thanks for the tips! I ended up loading manually through the sample pool (very fast) and will explore these other ones for future sets. Much appreciated. Lots to explore with this module… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got a feedback looper and manual grains unit sharing the same audio buffer, and I’m noticing that the visual of the audio waveform does not update when looking at it in the manual grains unit. I will record audio into the buffer using feedback looper and I can see it changing there, but when I go to the manual grains unit it will not update. The audio definitely updates, but not show up in the visual. Powering off and on didn’t help, only deleting the manual grains unit and then re-inserting. Any ideas? I’m using .4.27. Thanks!

This is a known bug, listed on the Wiki
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Tracker#Bugs

Also there’s a thread about it here. Apparently zooming in and out on the buffer contents seems to update what is being displayed.

Thanks for this, for some reason my searching skills didn’t get me here, makes sense now.

Hi! I’m relatively new to the ER-301. I’ve done the wiki tutorials and followed along with YT vids, but I’ve run into a problem I can’t figure out.

I have a sample of a piano that was recorded on an iPhone and that I transferred to the 301 with SD card. It is about 1min long. I looped the first part (about 10 seconds) with the 301 so that I could manipulate that part independently from the rest of the file.

I tried erasing the loop brackets and deleting all slices in the Edit Buffer but the sample still will only play the section that was previously looped. It won’t play the rest of the file after the loop that was on there.

Edit: forgot to mention I’m using Variable Player.

Does anyone know what’s happening here?

Many thanks!

I haven’t encountered that before. The ER-301 creates a slice file in the same place as your wave file (e.g. piano.wav creates piano.slc.) It stores the slice and loop info there. If all else fails, maybe use your computer to delete the .slc file, then reload the sample?

Thank you for the tip! I’ll give it a try!

Slightly off topic (feel free to kick the post out of the thread) but can one of you who make nice videos (and there are several here!) please point me to a guide that would help me understand how to capture audio from the modular along with a voice over, and synchronize that to video?

I think I can just use the normal iphone or whatever for the voice track and video but I’m unsure how to sync to modular audio. I would use Ableton to record the modular.

1 Like

The way I’ve been doing my videos is recording directly to an iPad app called Filmic Pro. I have a Blue Yeti USB mic that I connect to the iPad via the camera connection kit, and I use that for all the audio - so I just have one audio/video track. It’s not quite a full on pro setup but it’s working well enough for my purposes and saves me a lot of time editing.

If you want to get a direct recording of the modular output, you just need to sync the audio/video track from your phone to the external audio track from Ableton in your non-linear editor (NLE). Then you can slice and mute the parts of the iphone audio recording when you aren’t talking so only the direct recording is heard. Easiest way I’ve found to do that is to record some kind of audio event at the beginning to synchronize to. Maybe a quick burst of audio that you’ll be able to see in both tracks in the NLE so that you can drag the track around and line them up. You’ll delete that part after you get the tracks aligned. Depending on what NLE you use, some might have a feature to analyze and auto-align audio tracks.

Ok, it looks like I can use Logic Pro (which I also have) to sync the audio and video. I will give it a shot.

1 Like

Cool. Even if you have to hand align them it’s not too difficult. What takes a while is hand-slicing and multing the tracks.

Anyway, good luck! Be interested to hear/swap experiences if you feel like starting another thread at some point. Always looking to improve my videos, at least where I can do so fairly easily and the extra post work doesn’t become a disincentive to make them in the first place.

Your video films are 1st class and your keyboard work is a close 2nd

1 Like

20 characters of thanks for that!

2 Likes

I am trying to randomly move the pitch of a sample player up and down by an octave. I’ve tried using pink noise into a sample and hold unit, but I am struggling getting the voltages scaled correctly. I can’t see an “octaves only” scale in the scale quantiser unit. I also tried using the grid quantiser but struggled dialling it in.

Is there a smarter way of doing this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the V/Oct subchain try

White Noise -> S&H -> Grid Quantizer

Quantizer settings:
Pre: 1
Levels: 2

And then if it doesn’t make sense why that works, bring your questions. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Aaah thanks!

Is that 0.2 because 1 = 5V = 5 Octaves?

1 = 10V = 10 octaves at 1 V/Oct. Or put another way, 1 octave = 0.1.

Here’s an informative experiment. Go into your system settings and set

Displayed value for unit control readouts to actual.

Go to an empty channel chain or a global chain and insert an Offset unit. Set its gain to 1.0.

In its subchain, insert
White Noise --> Rectify (positive half) --> S&H --> Grid Quantizer

Connect the S&H trigger up to an external button or just drop 1Hz Sine Osc unit in there so that you can trigger it without being in the subchain. Leave the Grid Quantizer set at its default settings, except bring levels down to 1.

Go up out of the subchain and watch the readout on the Offset.

Now repeat the experiment multiple times, incrementing the levels control on the quantizer each time. Then, remove the Rectify unit and see what happens.

Once you do this I think you’ll understand the Grid Quantizer much better.

4 Likes