Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Just starting with the ER-301? Ask Your Questions Here!

Hi! The instructions for loading Accents is here:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Accents

The most current list of presets is here. It indicates which presets require Accents.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/User_Contributed_Presets

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and info Joe! and thank you for your helpful videos.
I have so many questions being new to this incredible device.

I am especially interested in the looping / audio mangling capabilities of the 301.
Hoping someone can clear this up for me and please correct me if I’m wrong.
It seems that all the looper units (Feedback, Dub and Pedal) share the same limitations in that you cannot control the speed, pitch, and direction of play. You basically have start, feedback, wet/dry.
On the other hand, “Manual Looper” does offer this control. I’m guessing that the functionality I’m expecting in an on-the-fly looping device is only available on units that work on loaded samples.

Am I getting this right?

Thanks.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

To achieve the functionality you’re after, try placing one of the players after one of the loopers, and assign them to the same shared buffer.

The player will block the output of the looper, but since they’re using the same buffer, you’ll hear what the looper is recording, and also be able to manipulate it (e.g. change playback speed).

4 Likes

I can’t see how to assign a player to a buffer. I place the feedback looper first in the chain, assign a buffer, place the variable speed player next… no sound, I can’t find a place to assign the player to the same buffer as the looper as you suggest. The player seems to only want a sample as a sound source.

My last post aside, I just went down the rabbit hole placing players and loopers in front of and behind each other and …wow… some very incredible stuff happening here…

1 Like

The Sample Pool is where all in-memory buffers/samples can be selected. So…

Variable Speed Player > Unit Menu > Select from Pool > Select the buffer that you previously created for/assigned to the looper > Press Enter

2 Likes

I’m in a situation where Would be great to play few entire .wav tracks/songs with my er301 within sample players, let’s say 6/7, so I need space in terms of MB. It’s an utopia to achieve that?
I assumed that once the space in the sample pool is full, it’s ‘game over’ right, there is no way to use the card space?
Thanks!

The Card Player is for playing WAV files directly from the card without using RAM.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Card_Player

2 Likes

There’s no utopia scenarios with OD, :roll_eyes: i’m silly boy…
thanks Brian!

1 Like

Thanks to Joe and Brian, I got the Looper to Player connection working. Unfortunately it doesn’t provide the functionality of some of the loopers I’m used to working with.
Adding the Player after the looper and sharing the same buffer is a neat trick but changes you make to the player (speed, direction, etc) can only effect what’s playing in the looper. You can’t for example, reverse direction, record an over dub while reversed (negative speed) then change direction again.
This type of hardware looping functionality has been around for a long time. I kinda expected this ability in at least one of the loopers.

My brain is hurting now because I’m trying to figure out a way to do this… add another looper at the end somehow?..

You can change the speed on the Player to -1 and you got a reverse playback of your buffer :slight_smile:

Yea, but you can’t record in reverse… see? I think you missed my point. Whatever overdubs you make will all be effected in the same way because the player can only alter what’s in the buffer. In a typical looper you change the pitch and direction of what’s going INTO the buffer. Maybe I’m not explaining that correctly but think of the functionality you have in hardware loopers like the Echoplex Digital Pro, Boss RC-50, and many others.

The loopers in the 301 need to have the ability to record overdubs at different speeds and directions. Somehow combine the present loopers with the variable player to get this functionality?. :roll_eyes:

See that? just getting started and already have a feature request!. :grin:

I can live with the player doing the reverse and pitch stuff. But in the feature requests section under “very likely” is this:

Looping

• layering looper (see thread)
  • variable speed recording
  • pedal Looper > double loop length
  • speed control
  • more monitoring options
  • reverse
  • half speed
  • loop volume level
  • option to begin overdubbing immediately after first record pass.

BUT-> when buying the ER 301 you must have seen the warning that this is a product still in development, so in my opinion, if you need funktionality like RC 50 or Echoplex, get one of those boxes where the features are already there. Brian is doing the development of the ER 301 at his pace and inspiration and I am very happy with his style of doing it…

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you for pointing that out. I wasn’t aware this was “very likely” that’s great.
I already have those boxes (Echoplex, RC-50) but obviously I’m looking for a Eurorack solution with the 301. I was aware of the product development situation when I bought the 301, no regrets here. I’ve had it for about a year now and I actually thought about selling it at one point but once I started to realize how powerful it is, I decided to stick with it and continue to study.

I am retired now from a long career in electronics manufacturing and engineering so I certainly appreciate the hard work and long hours Brian has put into the module.

HELP! HELP! HELP!..

Is there any content in the “LIB” folder on the SD card by default? If so, I think I just deleted it! :grimacing:
I mean, when a new 301 is shipped from Brian, is there anything in this folder?
…and how to get it back… ugh

Nope. The only files in lib are the ones you put there.

Thanks Brian!

I have a question about CPU load, as i’m building a live set almost only on the ER301, i hope is okay to write in this topic:
It’s normal that the CPU doesn’t go down till 3% when i bypass all the mixers/units, but remains in a range that goes high proportionally to the number of the mixers/units loaded?

Let’s say if i have 4 mixer with respectively few audio units inside everyone (singlecycle/variablespeed player/fm oscillators) and 4 delays for each unit the CPU% is near 65%, when i bypass every single thing in the chain the CPU% drops down till 12% and not to 3% , and if i add more mixers/units, more or less with the same amount of CPU% of the first four (after bypassing the others of course), if bypass everything in the module after that, the CPU% drops down to 28% and no more to 12%, and so on…

In a few words, more units i put inside, more the CPU remains up even with everything bypassed.
It’s a normal behaviour?
Of course if i delete the units the cpu drops to 3%, so maybe it’s normal that even with all bypassed the % doesn’t go down.

I reported the same issue in the “live environments” thread… I’ll go bump it…

So I’ve just ordered a 301 (very excited!) and I’m wondering if i2c headers are already installed/ready to go on the module? Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I’ve been a little overwhelmed trying to grasp as much as I can before the module arrives.