Just starting with the ER-301? Ask Your Questions Here!

My personal opinions:

I only use my own units, I want to avoid being dependent on other peoples work, for instance at a new firmware release.

I run 0.6, I don’t know about anything in 0.7 that would tempt me (but then again I don’t know much about what’s in 0.7 in the first place).

I don’t plan on getting spare parts, handle with care and it shouldn’t be necessary…

1 Like

Imho, you’ll get the “most” by having the most on board your er301…

• my unit holds probably most of the Firmware versions that were released since i got it. Storage space is cheap for these (compared to sample storage). And switching between Firmware versions is pretty painless in most cases.
  • i always used the latest Firmware Version available and updated as soon as a new Version got released. I really don’t remember that i ever had to retreat to an earlier version.
  • i have most of the community code held on the hub and some more. Because i love spending time with experimenting. And some of those experiments actually end up in some of my recordings.
    https://er301-hub.netlify.app/
  • having said that, some self inflicted restrictions might be helpful with getting your musical workflows more efficient. E.g. Less samples, presest and units to choose from.
4 Likes

I am preparing a live set and making one patch in a quick save, so I don’t have to switch mid set.
I have a couple of mixers, with different loopers and effects on every mixer.
PSU load is around 80%
Will that be ok? Don’t want my 301 freezing in the middle of a performance.
Also: does the length of a looper buffer have a major impact on CPU? Right now they are all at 10sec, but I might want to make them double as long…

I run my 301 above 80% all the time. Never froze or hickupped once. Even above 90% works fine, though the UI can be a bit slow then. Afaik, the length of loopers does not impact performance.

Only thing to watch out for is when you have granular stuff going on: this can take varying amounts of CPU, depending on the number of concurrent grains. This could freeze the 301 UI completely and start crackling if you go too high.

Good luck with the set!

1 Like

Will keep an eye on those grains. On another note, something I only realised now. Did we have a brief conversation on modulargrid the other day about a five12 Vector? If so, my gig is tomorrow, and in Belgium so probably not too far away. :slight_smile:
Anyway thanks for the advice!

Ha, yes we did! Where is your gig?

Strombeek, Wunderkammer festival. (Wunderkammer 4, Hannes d’Hoine and Pak Yan Lau)

How do you go about connecting a Disting Ex via i2c with the ER-301?

Bonus question: How can I connect an F8R as well? Will I need something like a bpc TXn for that?

Yes .you need a txb for that . What is your host in your i2c Chain?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

I´d like to use the F8R to control some parameters in the ER-301 while the ER-301 should trigger some events in the Disting Ex.

This is pretty much the setup I´m interested in:

2 Likes

Then you need a txb . For your Setup . The f8r is the Leader .you have to Set it to Leader Mode . And add the txb

2 Likes

Unless something has changed that I don’t know about, the ER-301 won’t be able to transmit i2c events. It is strictly a follower.

4 Likes

Is it possible to autoload a specific system state when the module boots?

If you save the system state as a Quicksave, I believe there’s an option in the Admin menu to boot up into the last loaded Quicksave,

3 Likes

Wow, thank you!

Everytime I switch on my modular I wonder, why there is nothing happening untill I realize that I have to say yes to load the last Quicksave on the ER-301. That is history now.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I thought I’d ask here

Concerning the single cycle waveform Osc - what’s the recipe for the highest quality settings?
For example 256 vs 4096
Using this Single Cycle Waveform Editor

So what’s the best settings for the highest quality scanning

Have a question concerning something very basic (I think) but I’m not succeeding in achieving it.
I’d like to store a value with a trigger, like with a simple sample and hold, but when I fire a trigger again, add a value to the previous value, so not just another random value, but really adding (or subtracting) a certain value and store the new value. With the next trigger or gate, another value gets added etc. It is probably simple to achieve, but I just don’t see it. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

If I’m understanding you correctly, you’d want to feed the value coming out of the sample and hold back into it’s input via something will add it, which could be done with an Offset unit. You can use the Locals to do the feedback.

Something like this.

2 Likes

Elegant and simple! I’ll give that a go. I was thinking along the lines of something like feeding back the output voltage into the sequencer unit, combined with a random new signal. But your solution is a bit simpler and probably a bit less CPU heavy. Thanks!