Let's talk about the LOOPER

what happened to the requests/ideas thread? didn’t want to start a new one for something so small… but, here goes…

would love to see the parameters renamed in the recorder/looper…

from ENGAGE to PLAY (just seems to make more sense, never seen a looper pedal with a label of “engage”, they all say “play” and it’s probably what people are used to seeing)

from PUNCH to RECORD… as “punch” implies “punching in” which has a different connotation/usage in recording terms than simple recording (again, every looper i’ve seen uses the term RECORD for recording)

just thought i’d throw these out there…

5 Likes

I agree - the wording is confusing to me too and this would be more intuitive/universal.

Speaking of the looper, I recall some discussion about the ‘pedal looper’ on the other forum and that is one of the top features I’m looking forward to, along with granular.

I have definitely NOT forgotten about these 2 important units. They are slated to come after file auditioning and the direct-from-disk sample player.

2 Likes

Here is a diagram of what exactly is happening inside the LOOPER unit:

If you are used to thinking about tape machines then perhaps it helps you to know that inside the looper the output play head (P1) is after the record head ®. The record head is fed with a mix of the looper input and the pre-playhead (P0). 100% wet means you only want to hear the output of the looper and none of its input signal. Also, notice that the crossfade curves used are lifted so that 50% crossfade is actually 0.75A + 0.75B. This is done to compensate for the dip in output volume that results when you use a linear crossfade curve.

5 Likes

(thanks for the new thread)

ok, so the reduction of volume (frippertronics style, as someone pointed out) is intentional?

so true, or, more straightforward, overdubbing isn’t possible (yet) ?

That is correct. And of course, just like the sample player I expect we will eventually have more than one looper depending on the needs of the users.

3 Likes

ok, thanks!!

adding in my request then to get more traditional overdubbing in there… perhaps in the PEDAL LOOPER

3 Likes

CRASH!

ok, i took my above loop and assigned the recorded buffer to a SAMPLE PLAYER… no problem… it was playing along… and i wanted to try the new SLICE SHIFT functionality… so i went into the slice view but couldn’t move the cursor around… i could only insert slices at 00:00:00 (where the cursor was)… as i was trying to figure it out, moving the cursor, deleting slices, pressing buttons… the module froze up on the SLICES page/view…

rebooted and seems fine…

BUT, my “Buf04” sample is no longer on the card…

1 Like

Nooo! I thought I fixed that crash. Just in case, are you sure that you weren’t in follow mode and wondering why the cursor wasn’t moving around when you turn the encoder?

The LOOPER buffer is created only in memory at first. You can save it to disk by highlighting it in the sample pool and pressing M5 (save).

You probably kept getting slices at 00:00:00 because of the snap-to-zero-crossing behavior? Pressing SHIFT+insert will disable the snap. See admin settings for how to change this behavior.

not knowing what the FOLLOW parameter was i tried clicking it and unclicking it… not sure if i could tell what was happening… tho at some point i could jump to the END of the buffer file… i could basically only add a slice at zero and at the end… nowhere in between (the sample was about 9 seconds long)

thanks for the buffer saving info

before i submit this reply i’m going to go back and repeat what i was doing to see if i get the crash again, or can move the slice cursor…

ok, back:

no problems this time… loading up a sample i had on the card to a player… making some splices and modulating the splice trigger and shift from a Batumi… (got very cool results!)… so, not sure what was happening before…

whatever default FOLLOW mode the device is in is whatever i used this time (and last time)… but i could freely move the cursor around this time.

i’ll report back if i get any other crashes

For what it’s worth, I find it easier if the dub and wet faders are controlled from the same CV source… because then you can immediately hear your external audio in context with what’s going on, and when you move back to 100% wet, and 100% dub simultaneously, there’s no risk of wrecking your recording as the looper is recording back into itself at 100% output to input.

3 Likes

If the same CV source directly controls both wet and dub the pre-punch gain staging will not be at unity during post-punch when wet and dub == 100%. This isn’t necessarily an issue it just depends what the user wants.

Is it currently possible to change the length of the loop without having to create a new buffer?
I’m having lots of fun using the Looper as a (nearly) real time effects processor - especially reversing the playback (which helps to replace the currently broken slice sample playback in reverse) and also changing the pitch - after watching Neil’s excellent video demonstrating this.

@sunshinelover
Buffer length only determines the maximum loop length. Actual loop length is determined by the reset period.

1 Like

Thanks Brian

So if I modulate the reset I can change the length of the loop with CV?

If you put a SINE OSC inside the reset subchain then you can modulate the frequency of the SINE OSC with CV.

Wait a minute, after seeing the stuff that you’ve done with the ER-301, I’m sure you know this already…am I missing the point of your question? :hushed:

OK thanks will give it a try!

On a side note with short buffers - 5ms to around 400ms - every now and then there’s a weird sound that comes in for a short while and then goes away again, sort of like the all of the audio goes into a very low bit rate for a few seconds and then fades out again. This is with the latest beta.
I’ll try and reproduce it next time and record it to show you.

Yes, please! That will help.

Hi Brian,

Just wondering if being able to adjust the speed of the buffer during recording is in the cards?

You can get some pretty wild results with sounds if you overdub and layer at various slower or faster speeds, and then bring it back to normal.

This is certainly possible. It’s not trivial though because variable speed recording will need real-time sample-rate interpolation just like the PLAYER unit. Probably better to have a separate looper unit for this kind of thing because it will add substantially to the CPU load.

1 Like