Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Limits of 4 Tracks?

hey. i don’t have an er-101 and im working through the manuals (still reading the wiki for the 301). does anyone find the 4 tracks being a little too limiting? (philosophic rants aside as to whether or not those limits are good for creativity).

I was scoping out the nerdseq which is 6 but has both trigger and cv expanders on the roadmap. I currently have an eloquencer and 1 gate/cv pair is really limiting (despite having 8 tracks). I did just start looking at the er-101 though.

im interested in how versatile a single er-101 can be when paired with the er-301 (which ive ordered). Seems like a great fit for that, but if you had more modulation sources to use against the er-301 then sequencing those would require something else right?

im also interested if anyone has gone as far as to go with 2x er-101? If so, how well do they sync to each other?

are there any plans for a track or cv/gate expander?

cheers

I’ve certainly considered the limits of a CV and gate output. It is frustrating that every new sequencer keeps doing that. However the 101 at least has an additional CV out per track.

Also with the 101 it is about how you program in sequences that is the most compelling to me. It seems to be the most flexible with what you can actually sequence.

On top of that I’m sequencing background elements or backing tracks. All the main playing is coming from me directly and so sequencing it isn’t necessary in my use case.

I think whether 4 tracks with 2x CV + gate is too limiting depends entirely on the sort of music you make. I think that if you’re going to use it to sequence drums and percussive sounds, you’re going to get to the limits faster. Same for very heavily polyphonic music (which I still don’t quite see as the typical use case for modular systems, even though some people certainly have large enough systems to do it). Unless all your voices have to be completely separate in rhythm as well as in pitch, you could still write up to 8 melodic lines at once with the 101. Seems like a lot to me. I know very few musical pieces that need more than that outside the classical realm and even there, it’s usually more about orchestration, i.e. distribution of parts of the melody to different voices rather than actually separate melodies - which can be done in the modular easily using buffered mults, mixers, offsets, logic modules and VCAs.

Personally, I do not feel limited at all. But then I usually don’t use more than three melodic lines at once (see above). Most of the time, I use some tracks of the 101 for sequencing things other than pitch.

I don’t own two 101s, but since the 101 is very exact about it’s syncing, I think if you run the same clock into n 101s, they’ll be perfectly in sync. I’ve certainly never had sync problems with my 101 + teletype combo.

thanks, these are helpful. I’m partly trying to gather info to make my next move, the eloquencer has been fantastic, definitely opened me up to more precise ways of sequencing. im a bit torn between the 101+102 or NerdSeq, and it’s mostly a question more holes to fill :smiley:

in the case of the 101/102 + 301 if you patched your gate/note/mod to the 301 you have 8 cv inputs left on the 301 that could be patched, and then a handful on the 102. I was hoping to avoid multiple sequencers (I was using two eloquencers) but it really seems there is no way around that at some point :/. If the 301 lives up to my hopes, it’s likely a second one will be on my list so I’m trying to plan around that.

I had not realized the er-101 used an external clock, but that works since it would be a single clock source maybe :smiley:

I owned the 101/102 combo and that was mostly because of the freedom of steps, not limited to 16 and then have to chain and use songmode like f.e. the Eloquencer.
But soon after having this set the Nerdseq was introduced and I had the privilege to spend an evening with it.
Honestly, this is one of the most powerful but underrated sequencers in the market imo.
It’s like having the 101/102 and Elektronlike functions, but with a big plus.
So much modulation options per step and now that the expanders are introduced it’s about having 64 extra outputs for triggers and modulation, programmable LFOs, …well just read the latest firmware updates because it’s just too much to mention it all.
I’ve not seen such an impressive sequencer in Euro rack before.
Ofcourse you could buy two 101/102 sets and that is indeed a very powerful set but it will cost like three times the price of a single Nerdseq with only two tracks extra.
I’ve sold the OD set and liked it, the very high built quality especially.
So no bad thing about that but it’s another type of sequencer.