Malefica is a granular looper, but it’s not built with granular units, instead it uses a feedback looper sharing buffer with a varispeed sample player. then i use a sine osc to retrigger the sampler and a saw osc to scrub through the sample via the shift parameter.
this can also be thought of as a didactical unit to study how granular playback can be achieved with regular sample playback devices
free of charge for all to use, microdonations welcome ( firstname.lastname@example.org on paypal )
- rec starts recording into the buffer
- play plays the buffer
- retrig use this to retrig the buffer from start at any given moment
- pitch 1v/oct control of pitch, independent of time
- time time control, independent of pitch
- length this sets the duration of buffer covered by the granular scanning, to be used in conjunction with time to fine tune the results
- fb looper’s feedback, when recording it will keep some of the previous buffer summed with the new material
- scratch this is linked to the sampler speed parameter, allowing you to “scratch” the sample
cpu about 12%
problem there is an issue with the sample player not retaining slice information needed for Malefica’s action. here’s a temporary workaround until i find a solution:
workaround click on OPEN to go inside the unit, click on the header of the Malefica Player unit and click on edit buffer then insert a slice at the beginning of the buffer. exit the buffer editor and it will start working.
Malefica.unit (22.3 KB)
p.s. carefully tuning the time and length parameter you can achieve VEEEEEEEEERY long timestretch retaining original pitch