Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Manual Loops

i’m doing very similar kind of explorations, often with one or more pingable scaled random bespoke unit controlling one or more parameters. i like to play a lot with the stereo image and the depth of the soundstage , both inside the 301\modular rig and on the main mixer. i’m about to close an album of such experiments titled “aBSTRaKTIVIZM”.
the tracks (named layer:01, layer:02 etc…) are usually long (between 7 and 12 minutes), with attention to the use of silence and to the overall dynamics.

oh, and my latest discovery was how good the “exact convolution” unit can be!!! i have to carefully choose the audio files to be convolved (they have to be really really short and have some characteristics that might work when superimposed to the sound sources) but then sometimes they can be really effective in manipulating sound.

Exact convolution remains a mystery to me. I mean, I get how to use it create very short reverbs but using it as some kind of filter eludes me.

oh! i didn’t know you can use it as a filter! any hint?

Not from me, as, I don’t really get it. :slight_smile: I mean, there aren’t a bunch of controls. I guess it’s a matter of finding (or making) a suitable impulse response file, which I never got the hang of. I tried making a few but didn’t get a good result. Not sure if the software I was using well suited or I just didn’t understand the process. @kilchhofer seemed to have a lot of success.

Most of the knowledge on it is in this thread.

i sometimes happen to like it. here, i made a little test (unlisted on youtube). not musically interesting but i think the convolution sounds neat (using an impulse from Lex 480L’s random hall algorithm) fed by just DPO -> LxD:

80% CPU though

very nice! yes, cpu is the only concern when you go above 100 ms of IR…
anyway a lot of weird surprises with this unit i seriously overlooked in the past…

I think I maybe responsible for initiating this unit, so feel like i should show people the way i use. The other way i use manual loops is using 1 x 1 shot drum hit and 1 manual loop. I put Joes bespoke random trigger to play the sample. I put a different Joes Random CV on v/oct, speed, start, len. Max Length i leave short at <1.5 s and Fade 0. The key to all this random cv is to put a slew on each one (like 3 to 9 seconds range) to slide around the cv slowly as the 1 shot sample is triggering. All your sound is controlled by different slew rates. Some i modulate by random cv also. Because you are cv’ing the start of a one shot you pick up volume transients as it triggers. I follow this with a VCA controlled by a randomly triggered ASDR - this is also key - otherwise it sounds messy if you don’t gate some of the sound. What you end up with is a 1 shot sample that slides and bends and pitches around with random trigs or if you have a very short clicky ASDR it sounds very good indeed - into Autechre type sounds. Its good with bass drum, snares and metal klangs. if you follow that with random cv’d very short delay (flanging) / and random cv’d reverb it gets interesting. Its all self generating and totally random but you end up with some mad drummer freakout jazz stuff or if you slow it down more you get clicks and pitched Klangs followed by zipper and flanging noises all from 1 sample.

Here is an example video - this is multiple triggering the same one shot sample, no external cv or any sequencing, this is the short clicky envelope discussed above, all effects from the er301 - its self generating and just plays