Manual reboot request

@odevices Would it be at all possible to add a reboot / power cycle hot key option to restart the 301 without powering down my entire system? Sometimes my quicksaves won’t load and the system will freeze and in a live setting it would be great to do a reboot without powering down my entire system.

Thanks!

There’s a reboot option in admin–>update firmware. You don’t actually have to update the firmware in order to just reboot.

Can’t access that when it’s frozen. I’m saying literally cut the power off and on.

If the system has crashed, a software hotkey to reboot probably wouldnt work either :wink:

@NeilParfitt lol figured. Has anyone made like a 2 hp power switch that’s independent?

might be good to report to Brian on the crash so the issue can be isolated and fixed

1 Like

Heh, sorry I guess I didn’t read your post as well as I thought I did. :slight_smile:

To Neil’s point, it may do no good. Though if the OS hasn’t actually crashed and is just super busy, it could maybe work depending where Brian puts it in the code. Only he knows his custom bulit OS I guess.

I have seen some situations where I’m pushing the hardware to the limit, like trying to load up 4 instances of Evil Twin, where I don’t think the ER-301 has technically crashed (it’s still outputing sound correctly) but I eventually give up on the UI ever responding to me again.

Kind of weird that you have some quick saves that lock it up on load, and you’re saying with a reboot they will load OK the next time? That sounds promising for a bug fix.

EDIT: in the meantime, maybe a proactive reboot before loading the troublesome quicksaves would help? If you’re not currently starting from a fresh load.

1 Like

If this actually helps it would lead me to believe there was a memory management (memory leak, for example) issue with the way quicksaves are loaded.

To the op, when it freezers (or appears to) are you still getting audio output?

2d

Not much to add, other than after Hofstadter’s law was mentioned the other day, in my breaks I have been slowly reading up on other laws… this one seems suitable here:

Wirth’s law: Software gets slower more quickly than hardware gets faster.

:sunglasses:

:thinking: I would really like to know more details about these freezes please.

1 Like

I just had a system freeze. I attempted to load a chain I had saved that consisted of multiple raw sampler units. This chain also included a clocked grain stretch unit. When I attempted to load this chain, the 301 froze during the load, and stuck on the screen was “Loading Clocked Stretch”. This happened twice in a row, so it seems to be consistent.

Can you :package: package the chain using the package manager and send it to me please?

Sure thing. I’ll package it up when I get home, and send it over to you.

Hi Brian, are there instructions for how to make a package? I took a look at it, but I don’t want to do anything to mess up my 301. I also didn’t notice any documentation on packages in the wiki. Maybe I overlooked it.

It’s pretty straightforward. Go to admin using the rocker switch. Select Package Manger. Create a new package. Point it at your saved chain file. It will then ask you who’s the author. Then you pick a destination .pkg file. You’ll want to create a new file here. You can name it something like

packagename-x.y.z

Where x.y.z is a version number.

Then just pull the .pkg file off of your SD card and send. It won’t harm your original chain file.

1 Like

Thanks @Joe. Appreciate it.

Here you go Brian. Hopefully I did this right: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/62e4310987c1c517865d70ec8984e79220210808125226/23d8982d1c6817ef0fae8bda3c018f1e20210808125253/12ec91

By the way, while attempting to do this, I accidently pressed enter while in the Package Manager unit, and the “core” box was clicked off, and something was uninstalled. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I pressed enter again, and the core box was clicked on again, and something was reinstalled. Did I mess anything up, or should everything be OK?

Thank you.

Sounds like you are fine. However, in my very humble opinion, that kind of fear is just going to slow down your ER-301 education :wink: I think most people treat their first few months with the ER-301 as a “let’s see what this button does!” phase. Then once that phase is done, if necessary (probably not) you can just wipe the ER-301 folder from the front SD card and start clean. The ER-301 will regenerate the folder structure using factory defaults. Only then would you start making stuff that you care about keeping.

Yea, I tend to be a bit of a worrywart, when it comes to this stuff. That’s one of the reasons I like modular, because it forces me to be more creative, experiment, think outside the box, and take more chances. I’m still getting acquainted with the 301, but hopefully I’ll throw caution to the wind soon enough.