Transit Module

Tsk… I am quite sure you’re not working fast enough @anon17137829 - come on hurry up :rofl:

1 Like

Actually, I have a question, do the pin headers connect ‘straight’ to the front pcb and the back pcb sticks out? Or are the pin headers those bent ones so the back pcb is perpendicular to the front pcb?

Zlob Modular has done some clever stuff with 2hp and perpendicular boards that are worth checking out. I was impressed doing the builds, not easy, but they work out well:

1 Like

I figured as much, but thought it worth mentioning, just in case :smiley:

Looking great!!!

1 Like

I pray one of you enterprising, brilliant, generous people will be offering these for sale as built modules, or perhaps will afford individuals such as myself the opportunity to work with one of you to fabricate one for me?

3 Likes

this. i need one, don’t need to try finding the time for building one, much less sourcing panel/pcb/BOM

2 Likes

Super sweet! Can’t believe how quickly you’re progressing this.

1 Like

Are those pads for 0402 passives I see there?

That’s great…

All looking rather excellent :heart_eyes:

I was thinking last night, while Brian is away coding/building - it’s fantastic to have another project to follow along with here, especially as progress is so alarmingly fast!

1 Like

That’s great !
Lemur on ipad + Er301 i’ll be a game changer !

3 Likes

Hi there folks I am really keen to use a midi controller to do offset in the ER-301. Is there anyway to do that with out say a Midi to CV convertor? Also the module discussed here, will it be available to purchase? Many thanks M

@Mathruwatson, your only options for communicating an offset to the ER-301 are via CV or I2C. I2C is a behind-the-panel digital connection which is used by several other devices to send one-way CV/gate messages to the ER-301. A direct MIDI connection to the ER-301 may be possible someday but not until the SDK is released. So you will need to turn your MIDI messages into CV or I2C.

There are many great MIDI-to-CV converters (CV.OCD is a cheap option). But if you want MIDI-to-I2C, I would recommend waiting until Drillionaire’s solution is ready.

Or the 16n Faderbank will likely be able to perform the same conversions, but then you would also need a way to get the signal behind the panel using something like bpcmusic’s TXb module.

1 Like

I joined the forum specifically to see if someone was working on this solution. I find this incredibly exciting and I’m watching with anticipation.

1 Like

Yes!! We should do general MIDI sampler patches - Monkey Island, here I come :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is looking incredible. I would definitely purchase this if it becomes available!

1 Like

Heh, this sounds great! Only listened on laptop speakers so didn’t hear the clicks/pops, I remember spending quite a bit of time getting the slice points right, but it was done on quite an early version of the firmware and it may have been before some slicing functionality improvements.

If I had to do this again I think individual samples for each note loaded up using the concatenation function would be the way to go. There is a memory limit and I seem to remember about 3 seconds being the maximum length of sample for the full 88 notes being a reasonable compromise.

p.s. it still amazes me that modular can sound like this :wink:

edit: just listened again and I can hear some clicks in the very fast note sweep. Hard to say where the bottleneck would be without looking at it, but it may be that it’s just asking too much generally.

2 Likes

Just posting here to say how eager i am to see this project going forward ! As soon as i knew that the ER-301 had i2c, i began to dream about some way to use midi interfaces with it, without the hassle of cables and without using the jack inputs.
Actually i’ve been thinking about an OSC to i2c converter, based on a raspberry pi zero…

2 Likes

If you can do this, I’ll be the first one to buy your module. The 32HP Pod would be perfect for this, as it would be able to house both modules with no HP left. Very handy for live or just jamming with say, a Digitakt.

1 Like

Any compelling reason to use the Teensy 3.6 instead of the 3.2? Also, I’d have included a reset/panic button. I would have mentioned it sooner but I mistook the LEDs for buttons… Looks pretty slick, in any case!

2 Likes

I think you can use the 3.2 in host mode, but it might involve additional circuitry. The SD card slot on the 3.6 should come in handy, too. Seems like a winner.

1 Like

Looking great! It is awesome of you not only to take the initiative to do this, but to also publish everything as you go so that others can provide feedback and/or learn from it!!

So, what is the current thinking on the software front? Are you going to try to take @odevices up on the on the offer to create builtin units to handle the MIDI over i2c messages? That seems ideal to me. E.g. you’d drop in a MIDI.CC Unit and set it to CC#9 and possibly set the MIDI channel, rather than dropping in an Teletype.CV unit, and have to figure out to set it to port 34 in order to listen for CC#9.

I’m not sure what exactly would need to happen to create that spec. I couldn’t find any discussion on lines about it. Wondering if you’re thinking on going that direction if there’s anything I or others can do to help.

4 Likes