Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Mlr via ansible

I’m sure it can be recreated in many ways inside er-301 but what about grid/ansible/er301/mlr super combo?
I’m not a programmer so apologies if I sound naive :slight_smile:

Ansible is not an I2C master, so you’d need Teletype to make this work. A few people have made various versions to one degree or another.

Oh, heh, I suppose you could just use patch cables, rather than I2C. Perhaps Ansible’s Kria mode would work. When I tried this I used White Whale.

Thanks at the moment I’m trying to figure out how live sampling can be designed…:slight_smile:

mlr used an evenly divided grid for slices, so you’ll want the “Slice to Division” feature of the sample player, and then you’ll want to provide voltage corresponding to slice selection at each grid “step”. So, a bit of scale editing in Kria would get you there.

2 Likes

thanks, I’m not so bothered about the evenly divided slices but for the record input feature…

You’re probably looking for a looper.

The wiki has really improved lately, if you haven’t seen it.
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301

1 Like

the grid+ansible+er-301 combo is one of the best things ever happened to my (sound) life :slight_smile: i’m using mainly the earthsea port with samplers and loopers.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in hearing more about what you know here. Ansible Earthsea + ER-301 is on my long list of stuff to look into but it seems like it’s going to be a mini project. (Ie figure out what earthsea is and how it works, figure out what’s different in the Ansible implementation, figure out the best way to use it with the ER-301, etc).

Earthsea is a grid app that plays v/oct note CV and gates. The grid is laid out in fourths (one row up is 5 semitones up).

The original Earthsea was monophonic and contained three additional CV outs for modulation. Modulation was controlled by using multiple keypresses simultaneously (known as “runes”). These runes would move the values for the three modulators to saved presets. The values were controlled by the three knobs on the faceplate of the module.

Ansible lacks these knobs. Ansible’s version of Earthsea replaces the rune system with polyphony.

You can record patterns of your keypresses. Your original timing is preserved. You can play these patterns back. The pattern can be transposed.

Hope that helps?

3 Likes

@hyena mlr is: 6 groups of 6 samples each, so in total 36 samples. Any one of them can be recorded in real time. All the samples are auto sliced. With the grid you can play the slices, reverse, change octave and adjust the volume of each sample and all these in real time. My idea is to create something similar with the ER-301 and Monome Grid. That would involve live loopers and samplers, I’m not quite sure about the connection between live looper and sample slice in real time.
mlr has been ported to ableton as re-mix and recently to monome norns. Norns talks lua same as ER-301 so @scanner_darkly any chance to establish connection between griid/er-301 and mlr possible or just a stupid thought? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

from what i understand lua is used very differently between norns and er-301, so it wouldn’t be feasible to port the norns version to er-301.

it would be possible to achieve some mlr functionality using er-301 / teletype / grid combo. i’ve made this simple version (this was probably done before er-301/tt i2c integration, but you could do it either way):

and planning to revisit and add more features to it soon (hopefully recording too). it could also be possible to create a dedicated alternative firmware for, say, ansible, but i’m not planning on it at this point.

a quick note on ansible earthsea - it’s not part of the official firmware (yet?). you can find it here: https://llllllll.co/t/ansible-earthsea/6891/209

3 Likes

@scanner_darkly while you’re here, maybe you can correct my description of ansible earthsea (above), seeing as how I haven’t installed it yet, I likely got something wrong!

your description is close, the only comment - the ansible earthsea does support runes, but not shapes.

basically, in the original earthsea you can record a single voice sequence and play it back. runes (multiple presses) can apply some transformations to sequences and can select CV shapes (CV shapes are basically sets of 3 CV values, you set/store them and then trigger them with runes).

in ansible earthsea you can record polyphonic sequences (up to 4 voices), but there are no CV shapes. there are runes that apply transformations to sequences but they work slightly differently to the original and are triggered from their pages instead of using multi button combos (since it’d be difficult to differentiate between trying to execute a rune and playing a chord).

2 Likes

OK, I got shapes and runes confused.

Which is really strange because the names are extremely descriptive and not hard to confuse with each other at all!
/gentle sarcasm

2 Likes

Thanks for the description and clarifications on earthsea. Sounds like something I’d like!

Thanks @scanner_darkly, so you think via teletype it’s possible to achieve volume faders and input rec? looking forward to it…I’ve already downloaded the ansible earthsea version. Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Should also be possible via 16n and im betteing Norns too (which runs via Lua :slight_smile: )

if it’s controllable on er-301 then you could create a teletype script that would update it, either via CV or i2c. but for a mlr style scene you’re going to run into limitations of teletype itself, it’s a lot of functionality to pack into 10 scripts of 6 lines each, so while possible technically it might be difficult to fit it all into one scene.

also for something like volume faders perhaps a better option would be to use something else other than teletype/grid, you could use a simple DC offset generator, like intellijel triatt, for instance.

1 Like

ideas for implementing something similar to mlr with monome ansible (with earthsea app) + grid + 301 for live input @swhic
keep in mind i still have to try it, i’m out of home for a couple hours then i’ll come back and try but here’s the basic idea:

connect your sound source to in 1, in chain 1 insert a feedback looper. patch gate out 1 of ansible to g1, gate out 2 of ansible to g2. patch cv out from ansible to a1.

after the pedal looper insert a variable speed sample player.
click on the in of chain one and select input 1 as source.
click on the header of feedback looper and create a new buffer.
click on the header of variable speed sample player and select from pool—>your newly created buffer.
go to feedback looper and activate it with engage. select the PUNCH parameter and assign it to G2.
go to variable speed sample player, select start and assign it to A1 and give it some gain.
go to GATE and assign it to G1.

now, on the grid (with earthsea app selected) if you press two buttons together, the second one will activate the looper PUNCH function, when you press again two buttons together the looper will punch out and end the recording and start looping.it has filled the buffer. now you can play pressing only ONE button on grid so the punch function isn’t activated but only the GATE function of sample player. when you press different buttons in sequence you will retrigger the sample (buffer) from different start positions (similar to slices but no need for slices :slight_smile: )
i’ll try it and post results.
when you want to overdub material on the buffer you , again, press two buttons together on the grid to punch in and two buttons after to punch out.

1 Like