Modulation Modules for ER-301

Even though there’s loads of modulation options in the ER-301 it’s still pretty important to have external stuff going on too so you can route those signals elsewhere in your system.

@DivKid’s overview of Pamela’s New Workout seems like an awesome way to start this thread:

Amazing!!

5 Likes

I have two PNWs in my live setup and they are pretty much the core of my sequencing - the syncing is extremely tight and combined with the ER101 it’s a dream (I was fortunate to alpha & beta test the PNW and spent a lot of testing on syncing so the ER101/PNW combo is really tight).

The random loop g mode is great - basically 8 Turing machines plus the randon seed is remembered so you can recall random looped sequences.

2 Likes

Where’s the @NeilParfitt of ER-101/102 video’s who can demo all this other O|D magic?

Thanks for the share, @anon83620728!

This is some great insight into the power of PNW, @DivKid! Very nicely done. Watching your videos often winds up costing me a lot of money, somehow. :wink: Not sure this one’s going to be the exception…

1 Like

just seen this cheers for sharing the video! PNW is killer.

Joe … apologies to the bank account haha

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure if I should post this in the interface or modulation modules thread, but this one is decidedly lighter than the interface modules thread so here it goes…

The Harvestman, sorry… Industrial Music Electronics Argos Bleak is glorious!

I am really struggling to explain why this module is so good, it’s one of those that ‘just works’ and it really delivers! I admit when I first saw it I was like WTF?? This is totally bizarre, but having mulled it over for a while, read some of the threads on MW about it, and realised that I totally trust Scott and that he almost certainly knows better than me, I thought, sod it, I should just try it, I had credit with a store and one came up, so that was that… I should never have doubted; I fell in love instantly.

Here’s the description from the IME website:

Argos Bleak is a control voltage processor and oscillator driver with two inputs and four (count 'em, four) outputs. Its per-channel octave, detune, vibrato, and slew controls facilitate full performance control of four oscillators at once, with minimum patch cords required. It excels at bringing multiple oscillators from different manufacturers into full cooperation, with the flexibility to quickly switch between multiple performance setups. Processed control voltages are quantized to the scale of your choice, with the slew limiting able to be routed pre- or post-quantizer. A short CV delay effect can be used instead of the slew limiter, per channel. The CV I/O can also be routed from one channel to the next, for mixing slew and delay effects, obtaining longer delay times, or experimenting with extreme control feedback effects. A common vibrato control distributes the internal modulation signal to any of the outputs. A set of performance gate inputs allow instant modification of the fundamental channel settings (input selection/mixing, slew enable, quantizer track-and-hold), and a quantizer trigger output automatically fires when channel 1 quantizes a new note. Each channel may receive its data from either (or a sum or difference) of the CV inputs, so you may run two completely independent CV processing streams, or combine the input data and switch it around using the external gate input.

Each output may be offset (positive or negative) by up to 12 semitones. These semitone shifts occur pre-quantizer, effectively enabling chord construction from a single monophonic CV input. 2 banks of 16 chord presets may be stored, and instantly switched or sequenced by an external cv signal. A bonus CV mode rotates the output semitone shift data among all 4 outputs.

Argos Bleak satisfies many common performance situations that require a series of oscillators to respond to tuned control voltages. CV sequences are easily and precisely transposed. FM carrier/modulator ratios are quickly and effortlessly defined, and changed with the dedicated octave knobs and chord selection… Dedicate an output to managing oscillator sync frequency, apply vibrato, and your modular system is suddenly playing pinch harmonics. The calibration routine is simple, and your attached oscillators can be easily calibrated to each other by ear using the channel controls.

I have it hooked up to the ER-301 (of course!!) and it is playing some lovely chord progressions - a proper chord generator that works from a single cv input - it makes it easy! (edit: I don’t mean easy - I mean it greatly facilitates this process)

The built in vibrato is genius… perfect for subtle warbles BoC style or more pronounced full on vibrato! Adjusting it so it just does this on one of the outputs that has an ADSR envelope longer than the others is really nice.

I could go on, I can think of a million an one uses for this now I have experienced hands on, despite struggling to even imagine how I would use it at all beforehand.

10/10 from me another classic from The Harvestman!

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/products/20

4 Likes

thanx for the review Kel, i am thinking about the Argos, would be awesome if you post a Video or audio Demo.

1 Like

Sure, it’s important isn’t it :slight_smile:

A lot of people think of The Harvestman as these really brutal modules, and well… they are! but they are all capable of so much more, they just take a bit of getting used to. I admit they are definitely not for everyone, a lot of folks either don’t like the aliasing or they haven’t got the patience for them, see the quirks as downfalls rather than opportunities or whatever, anyway, this is Argos Bleak at her most pedestrian… only four modules were used, Stillson Hammer for the main sequence and chord modulations through the Argos Bleak straight into the ER-301 - the sound is just four instances of the aliasing saw osc unit from the ER-301 with a quad phase modulation on the four pans from Batumi and finally a slop of reverb - that’s it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanx a lot Kel

1 Like

No worries, I am listening back now and as nice as this is it really is a very simple demonstration, I got lost in it last night and it’s capable of so much more!

I enjoyed hearing what it can sound like tamed down. I don’t have any Harvestman modules and don’t know ton about them but what demos I have heard more often have them going to extremes.

Everyone goes to extremes with them, in an ironic way I do too, it’s slightly masochistic behaviour because I really really really like taming the beasts!!