Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Mono chain with stereo pan?

Hey gang, I’m making a custom unit and I’m trying to lower the CPU before releasing it.

The most wasteful thing I can tell I’m doing is having to make it stereo chain for the sole purpose of panning the final result.
Is there a way to maintain a mono signal right up until a stereo panner is introduced? would save me about 18% of CPU.

Also is there a way to stop the signal from going to the next (on the right) unit without having to use a closed VCA?

0 Likes

There is no nice way to do it at the moment but there is a hack. Add a GainBias control to the Custom Unit and the mono chain in there. Then inside the (stereo) Custom Unit’s patch, insert a Mixer Channel and assign the GainBias control as the input to both the left and right of it.

Like this:
mono2stereoHack.unit (5.0 KB)

Nothing cheaper than that.

3 Likes

Thank you for the tips Brian, would you mind give me feedback on the CU before I share it?
I want to be sure not to be wasting precious resources.
55% on 48kHz is way more than I expected :frowning:

0 Likes

People on the forum can also give you feedback, which gives you the benefits of an iterative process between multiple people – it doesn’t need to be one-and-done :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Ok, I will drop it in the shark pool :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think of it more as a perfectly safe lagoon full of friendly Doctor fish who might nibble your toes!

:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:
:fish::fish::fish::footprints::fish::fish::fish:

3 Likes