Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Multi-timbral interval trainer (not finished/need help)

I have another little unit building riddle for anyone who is up for it.

I’m trying to build a random interval generator for music training purposes. I want it to trigger a random 12tet approved note and after a short delay, automatically trigger another note with a certain amount of steps up or down from the starting note (half step, tritone, perfect fifth, octave, etc.) I want to be able to turn on and off specific intervals in order to start training with just a few and when I’m ready add another interval. This last feature is biting me in the butt I’m afraid. It’s easy enough to randomly access a file with interval CV or work with a fixed voltage bank or something along those lines, but turning specific portions of that array on or off seems to complicate the matter significantly, well, to the point at least that I’m stuck. I think it can’t be done in the UI, because it seems to require some extra logic that is not readily available, but I hope I’m wrong. Anyone ideas?

The multi-timbral part of this unit is just to make it a little less monotone, so I’m using single-cycle oscillators that use different samples every time a sound is made. This is off course optional.

multi-timbral-interval-trainer.unit (49.4 KB)

2 Likes

If you are using a sliced CV sample as storage for your intervals, you could simply use a VCA to limit the range of slices selected (aka attenuate your random selection voltage). Then open your VCA more when you are ready to access the later slices.

1 Like

Hm, I’m not sure if I’m following you… So the multi-sample is holding 12 intervals, or 24 probably for “negative” values (interval down from starting note), and I’m adressing the slices randomly to offset from the original note played. How would I tell a VCA when exactly to not play the slice? Some sort of comparator trick maybe…? :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe you are imagining that your CV sample contains a simple scale while @desolationjones is imagining that your CV sample contains the entire progression of lessons arranged from easiest to hardest.

1 Like

:slight_smile: That is indeed how I imagined it, and maybe @desolationjones saw it the way you described. I was looking for a more logic driven approach, but it would solve the problem and “writing it out” explicitely is probably the easiest way to go about it. I guess I was hoping to learn a new trick along the way :robot:

I will start cracking on that CV sample and get back to the tread when it’s done!

Thanks for the help!