Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Multiple ER-301?

Now that we have had a couple months with the 301 I’m curious if anyone is considering using more than one ER-301 in their setup? Due to the many possible applications it could make sense to have dedicated hardware units for different tasks. Hmm…

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense to me, but I still haven’t worked out my balance with just one yet!

I know you can have multiple mixer channels on each channel, but more ins and outs is always good :cat:

I’ve thought about adding a scond. My main reason for that is I keep maxing out the CPU with complex chains. I was wondering if the hold function would be similar to freeze track effect on a daw?

Does this usually work by rendering to a wav?

If so it may be possible and would free up a lot of resources, but of course it would lose the flexibility, it’s kind of like an automated re-sampling process as I understand it. Is that right?

I’d love to hear whether there is potential for an expander at some point. I don’t know if there are any i/o pins on the back of the module that would make this a tenable idea, but I’d love to maintain a single place for routing/chains/UI, but double the amount of I/O.

To be honest I’m not sure how it works. I used to use it a lot when using power hungry plugins, It just helps to free up CPU and its effect can be undone when needed.

With the 301 it would be great to have something similar, I current use a looper as a sort of work around. Capture the main outputs and then introduce a new chain.

It is very cool, I remember using it myself when I used computers back in the day, seems a while ago now.

I’m trying to imagine the workflow… too many possibilities are making my head spin a bit!

With a custom hardware UI two of these would make one hell of an 8 channel mixer/FX setup!!!

I know right… I cant stop thinking what would be possible with 2 of these but it kinda feels like gluttony :smiley:

1 Like

OK seeing as owning six of something in the modular world is apparently a reality (not mentioning any names @NeilParfitt hehe) is anyone considering a third ER-301?

:smiley:

I’m not certain, but my guess is that @Ivo_Ivanov of Glitchmachines is the first with two units…paired with four Control Forge to boot!!! He posted this in another thread:

3 Likes

I have two now too - not sure on dates and who was there first, but it really doesn’t matter hehe :slight_smile:

It’s definitely not overkill, I can easily use them both!

3 Likes

Now your message about who will be first with three ER-301’s makes more sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, if I’m honest with myself it’s not happening any time soon, but maybe one day!!

Two definitely feels right for now :slight_smile:

If it was just a sample player, then no, I’d stick with one, but as it is so much more it makes total sense to have two. I tend to use one for drums (stereo channel with multiple mixer channels and a mono kick with a channel spare for something else - often bass for obvious reasons) and the other one for everything else whatever that may be!

1 Like

I’ll hopefully be receiving my 2nd ER301 next week - the 2nd one is going into a small skiff of only ER301, ER101/102 & Pamela’s New Workout - small enough to sit on my lap and very portable. :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

I plan on another one at some point… not 6 though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes, I’m definitely happy to own two of these! In fact, I am still on the fence but I’m tinkering with the idea of having a total of four of them.

It may seem like overkill but for me, samples are ultimately more sonically important to my system than traditional osc sources. I also have 20+ mixer channels in my system already, and I’m trying to populate each of these with its own “voice”. Currently, I have two 301s, two paid for SynthTech 370 oscillators coming whenever they are ready and one Assimil8or whenever that’s released set as my sound sources that will populate those 20+ channels.

However, as someone already pointed out, the 301 is capable of a lot more than samples, so I plan to also use it to create FX processing chains. With this in mind, I am playing with the idea of ditching the Rossum sampler from the plan in favor of two more 301 modules - but it kind of depends on how the Rossum sampler pans out in terms of features.

Currently, my plan is to use the Rossum for drums, the O|D modules for all the samples and fx and the SynthTech for everything else.

However, I’m still leaning toward scrapping that in favor of four of these modules. Here are both the plan with the 4 X 301s and the one with the Rossum instead (the blanks in bottom center row are to hold the place for the upcoming WMD Advanced Trigger Seq) :

1 Like

Wow! That will be one hell of a system, whichever one you choose… I love the symmetry of it too.:+1:

1 Like

Not half - crikey!!

You’re got a better memory than me, I’d get lost trying to gig with that hehe :smiley:

1 Like

Well, it all wound up falling apart due to me getting into some troubles with the lovely IRS - but I thought I would post some photos of this one in its most recent form, before I ultimately had to sell it (was a painful situation). The two 370s were already paid for and I wound up having to cancel them with Paul before they launched - which, in itself cost me a ton because of the Kickstarter fees.

That being said, I’m putting together a new system in January and will post images separately when it comes together :slight_smile:

1 Like

While we’re on the subject, I do love modules in multiples as evidenced by these pics of some of my old systems :joy:

1 Like