My new ER-301 arrived! - FIRST QUESTIONS

you can try this technique provided by @anon83620728
keep in mind that now it’s way easier and doesn’t require putting the envelope in the global chain because of the “locals” / feedback routing appearing in v0.4.X

works for me!

1 Like

I think that apart from the Card Player unit, all units that use samples load them in RAM.
When you load a sample and choose “load from card” (not in front of my case so i am not sure this is the actual menu text) the file you then select is loaded in the sample pool. It is a shortcut that improves workflow over how things were in a previous version of the firmware, when loading files in the sample pool could only be done in a single dedicated place.

@ermina hit it on the head. The only unit that plays samples directly from the card is the Card Player unit. All other units that use samples are playing them from RAM (i.e. the Sample Pool).

Select from Card: Select a WAV file from the card to load into RAM (i.e. the Sample Pool) and assign to this unit. If the sample is already in RAM then no loading is done.
Select from Pool: Select a WAV file from Sample Pool (i.e. list of samples already loaded into RAM) and assign to this unit.

1 Like

Ok. I understand It now. So another question solved! Thanks a lot!

Hi. I’m experiencing some clicks in firmware 04.09 (48 khz normal latency) when I put an audio signal straight into one input of the ER-301 without any units. I am just plugin the audio out of my Shapeshifter into the IN1, and then I hear those clicks. No matter what I plug into this input (all the inputs gets clicks) … Always hear the clicks and there is no clipping as the shapeshifter sound is passed through a VCA to limit the level.

When I’ve changed to the 3.25 firmware, this problem disappears. The sounds is clean.

I’m I doing something wrong?

Could you please go through in detail what you are doing and recheck? Also, a recording might help.

This is part in your description is a little weird:

VCAs do not limit levels. For example, what if it is already clipping before the INPUT? Did you change the pre-amp settings in the admin area?

Basically, I don’t have sufficient information. :bowing_man:

OK. I’ll try to explain myself better this time.

I’m taking the out of the Shapeshifter straight into the IN1 of the ER301. Select this input to the OUT1 line output and then to an external recorder. The preamp settings is x1+0db for modular. I hear clips and pops.

/original/2X/4/45417d7b15b84e971fb00f530ccc721aa6c4a0ec.WAV

Next I plug the shapeshifter to the line out straight without any devices. No clipping and pops.

/original/2X/e/e497bc4fa11fe3dd78b12343723e6f39206175ce.WAV

If I connect the Shapeshifter out to a VCA and the VCA out to the ER-301, no matter how low the signal is. Always hear the clicks and pops.

If I repeat exactly the same procedure using firmware 03.25, with the sam shapeshifter out connection straight into the ER-301, the sound is clear.

Hope my explanation is clear now. Thanks Brian.

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED!
I downloaded the firmware again and reinstalled. The problem disappeared. :hushed: It was a really strange thing because it didn’t create any clicks with the 96khz version or the 03.25 firmware …

1 Like

That is weird that reinstalling the firmware helped. Your first audio recording is what it sounds like when the CPU is overloaded. Did you have some global chains consuming resources that you forgot about perhaps? This can happen for example, if you have the “Restore last quicksave on boot?” setting set to “yes”.

I didn’t use any chains at all. Just switched the case, connected the external audio and assigned that input to the audio output. No processing and just 4% of CPU. Also when I downloaded the 96khz version there were no clicks, so after going back to the 03.25 and then to the 04.09 several times without success, I downloaded the 04.09 again and overwrited the old one. Problem solved.

Could taking the SD card output without first ejecting It could have caused damage to the OS file inside the card? I did this only a couple of times until I started to the the ER301 working procedure …

Anyway problem solved. Thanks a lot for your time Brian.

Another one … :grinning:

Is It possible to clear the memory buffer of a Looper by assigning a Gate Trigger? I read in an old post that this was not possible and I haven’t seen any way to do this in the actual firmware …

No, not at the moment. This kind of feature will come when the command bus is implemented.

7 Likes

“Command bus”. You’re such a tease :grinning:

5 Likes

Hi. Another question before 2018 ends … When assigning a local input for a stereo feedback looper, I always get the “(left)” input … How can I assign the left and right outputs from a local source? I’ve tried pressing shift or other keys to change the left yo right without success …

I stumbled over this also many times… i think it’s not (yet?) possible to differentiate stereo channels on local inputs.

I can’t confirm at the moment but you should be able to change the focused channel (for selection and scope display) by using the channel buttons. So just make sure you have the numeric channel that corresponds to the right channel selected before making your local selection.

1 Like

It worked! Thanks again, Brian! And Happy New Year!

Well…
holy shit!

One more question …

When using one ER301 input for external audio with the preamp settings set to +12dB for external line-in input, and using certain audio sources (for example, a self made instrument with pickup microphones) I see in the scope that the audio line doesn’t stay in the middle. It has some kind of offset which makes the audio clip when using feedback loopers as the audio on each take goes higher and higher … I’ve tried to use an offset unit with a -0.054 correction on both channels which solves the problem. The problem is that suddenly I only hear the left channel (the feedback looper is in stereo) and the right is gone.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the offset unit not the right one for this purpose?

1 Like

Could be some dc offset in the input. Try putting a fixed highpass filter after the input?

Here is a link to something similar

3 Likes

Ohhh!!! Worked!!! Didn’t know the magical properties of the HPF!! :grinning:

1 Like