Neat ER-301 Side Trick

Good to know the version number weirdness is expected.

I can understand why Xaoc is giving this answer. The whole “play an audio file into an input” method seems kind of prone to both equipment and user issues.

But since a couple of us have successfully completed this upgrade this way, I think we can rule out that the playback software is not suitable for a pure square wave, or that the levels aren’t sufficient.

You’ve already re-downloaded and unzipped the software a couple of times, right?

Did you tell them it counts up packets for a while and then freezes? I’m wondering what that’s that indicative of.

yes. i’m on my 4th download of the file now. 3rd euro case, 2nd audio interface. the rme babyface isn’t faring much better right now. the odd thing is it fails on increasing packet counts, so i’m trying to see if i can get all the way to 47 again.

i’ve never run into any issues w/ the other audio update driven modules i’ve used. mutable seems to have a good setup for that.

I’m definitely not an expert on this. It seems like you have a good handle on what you’re doing and are using the exact same hardware/software to perform the upgrade that others have used and been successful with.

After multiple downloads, multiple playback devices, and multiple cases, all that I can conclude is that there’s an issue with some piece of hardware in your Zadar. If it were me, I would flat out ask Xaoc if you can send it in and have them perform the upgrade for you, because you’re stuck in a non-functional state.

1 Like

thanks, Joe. the module is truly bricked now. after 4, 11, 13, then 0 packets being sent before freezing, the module no longer will boot into the system mode. lcd is permanently blank. i’ve also asked xaoc to outline their known good system for updating. i think finding some common ground would go a long way. if it’s as simple as an iPad into mutable ears, that’s at least a starting point for some.

i’ve tried: ableton (no warp, set audio interface to 48khz), audacity @ 48khz. all on a macbook pro w/ uad apollo, rme babyface, macbook audio output (the worst one). also tried the er301 as it’s own update tool which to me still proves it’s module-specific. tried the er301 in 3 different cases (intellijel 7u, pgh modular structure 208, pulp logic lunchbox w/ larger psu) to verify it wasn’t something along those lines. even tried w/ a lower resistance power cable from modular addict on all applicable modules.

I wonder why Xaoc haven’t released the binaries so that we can update via a JTAG programmer?

That’s all they will do if you send it back I imagine.

3 Likes

Argh, that sucks. :disappointed:

If there’s a sunny side, I guess it is that is pretty much has to go back now, and you can stop looking for a 45th way that you might be able to get it to take the update.

1 Like

yep. i wouldn’t even be upset at all if that was the solution. jtag programmers aren’t expensive.

i am seriously relieved it’s bricked in that odd way. i will try until i can’t possibly think of other variations. the curse of being in software dev.

3 Likes

I know what you mean.

1 Like