Nerdseq & I2C & er-301

We’ll see. I don’t know if these values can be polled anyway. And also, i don’t see a simple implementation of this right now, NerdSEQ would need to know which parameter is wanted which needs extra setup stuff + the resolution of polling wouldn’t be satisfying i guess.
And one can still add a patch cable form ER-301 output to the NerdSEQ input. It’s not that the patch cables are completely useless :wink:

It’s just that all the ER-301 outputs are AC-coupled. So no CV output in this scenario.

Oh OK, didn’t know about that.

Well, I broke down and am currently awaiting delivery of a NerdSEQ + midi/gamepad expander (as well as a gamepad controller I hope works)…which has me digging deeper into the 301 to program some things I want to do with the combo even if I2C never comes…but I’ve got some serious ideas for what I’d like to do if it does. Fingers crossed.

Just some status update.
My plans were to show a first I2C implementation with the ER-301 at Superbooth. But in the end i didn’t have enough time to get started with it. So it won’t happen for Superbooth. But i plan to get into this very soon.
If you are there, come by and have a chat and a beer with me so i can explain my ideas about it.

Booth O507
Cheers Thomas

24 Likes

You thinking about it is already massive! Thanks Thomas

Your the first on my list anyway! Hope to see you on friday…

I’m super excited about this integration. Are there any additional news since early May? I’m putting together a microsystem, and was going to include my teletype, but it looks like the NerdSeq may be a superior solution for my needs.

I still got to get started with this. I have multiple things to do at the moment and the time is too short. I hope i can get started with it shortly. Even more a shame, i didn’t even find the time yet to try out my ER-301. So please stay tuned, it’ll be there if all works well and then it’ll be cool!

8 Likes

I have to express my interest here too for this implementation. It would be the last reason to pull the trigger and buy the NerdSEQ finally after many months of going back and forth about it!

Shame I can’t double like…!
we should implement the double like on this forum!!

1 Like

Just got a nerdseq and it pairs so perfectly with the er301, favorite sequencer ever, dreaming of the i2c implementation, hope it works out!

1 Like

I’m most looking forward to the integration of the NerdSEQ and Launchpad Pro, so I hope that’s taking up the majority of those developer hours, but once that’s ironed out I sincerely hope we will see an I2C crossover with the 301. I feel like the integration of all those things will lead to the most amazing setup for workflow, one that would have only previously been possible with software.

1 Like

Good Morning there,

it’s been a while again but there is some progress finally.
So i thought alot about the best implementation mainly with the hardware and here is what i came up with and why: The NerdSEQ will get a I2C expander module, 4HP width. The main reason is that with the development of the NerdSEQ i didn’t plan any I2C connections, so it’s just not there. However i have a debugport on the backside which can theoretically be reconfigured to be used for I2C and the pinout would match those of the ER301 and others.
But they are 3 issues here:

1. Most people would have to solder the pins on the backside which is not the easiest for unskilled solderers as it is not accessible from the front side.
  2. The I2C port that i could use has a hardware-bug in older revisions of the microcontroller and so i can’t use the hardware I2C function on these and would need to implement a software I2C which takes up more ressources. So it would need to add a detection of the chip revision and depending on it i need adapt the implementation. And it’s not even sure if it is fixed in newer revisions as the errata’s of the chip are not always very reliable. Checking the forums i see a lot of issues. It’s definitely something that is possible to implement, but not the best thing to do…testing all possible revisions which are possible in the field etc…and overhead for a possible software implenentation.
  3. As the port was never intended to be used as I2C port, i didn’t add any protection of the pins, so they go directly to the microcontroller ports. That would mean that there is a risk that at minimum the pins fail (as in that they possibly break and never work again) up to a total fatal fail of the microcontroller. Thats all possible with every power on. Something like this doesn’t happen a lot…but there is a chance.

So that are the main reasons why i decided to go for an expander module, where the hardware I2C works as it should be but also with an additional output protection, so the risk of breaking the NerdSEQ is gone.
On the other hand the benefit is here that i will add 2 I2C ports in there, so one expander can be used for at least 2 same or different modules. And if you know how expanders work with the NerdSEQ then you know that these can be routed flexible to different and multiple tracks.

The other good news is that i finished the PCB of the expander yesterday and it will go to the PCB factory so i can do my first real tests soonish.

My aim is having a working prototype for Tokyo modular. So hey Brian, if you show up there, then we can discuss and finalize the whole thing.

All in all, still keep in mind that i also have to work on the NerdSEQ ecosystem, so it still takes some months until it’s finished and available. But my guarantee to you is, if it works well (and it should in theory) then it will definitely be there!!

Cheers, T

24 Likes

As a Nerdseq and ER-301 user, this is fantastic news! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Seems like a reasonable thing to do regarding the expander! Waiting with baited breath!

Can’t wait, will buy the second this is available!

Congrats on finding a solution! Do you envision this expander working with Monome Teletype as well?

I don’t know. Isn’t the teletype a ‘leader’ module?

That’s a fantastic news, many thanks!!!