New to the Er101 & 102 - Whats a good way of doing arpeggios?

Hi,
Just got an ER101/102 combo and I love it…but I am wondering what are some good ways of programming arpeggios. Say, a traditional 8 bar ‘chord progression’ - a different arpeggiated chord on each bar. Of course there is the manual way but I feel like it’s quite slow.

I’ve also tried making arp ‘shapes’ - like a minor bar, a major bar, etc and then using track 2 to modulate them via a group slope…but I’m getting plenty of bars out of key because the slope is post index…

I’d love to know how other people do it
Thanks

1 Like

I tried your arp shape suggestion. Programmed an A minor shape and then applied 4 notes on track ,2 to modify the slope on track 1.

Best results came from setting a scale mask , blues, rather than the default 12ET mask, for both tracks.

You can setup the Slope-Mod to be Pre-index which would do wonders for the concept you’re putting together. From the config.ini file:

; CV Slope Modifier behavior
;
; pre-lookup - slope modifier is added to the CV index before table lookup.
; post-lookup - slope modifier is added to the CV after the table lookup.
cv-X-slope-mod = post-lookup
cv-Y-slope-mod = post-lookup
cv-Z-slope-mod = post-lookup

Better yet, each slope can be configured per-track, so your arp track can be reading Pre-index while another track reads Post-index.

Another interesting idea indirectly related to this would be to use the quantize feature for a group transform to specify index numbers that correspond with different intervals in the chord. You have to stick to one octave for this though, since this snaps to the nearest multiple of whatever number you’ve chosen to quantize to (i.e. qt=7 on a group transform = a perfect 5th for an index # less than 10, but if the number being quantized is closer to 14, it ends up being a 9th (2nd) [Assumes 12 tone equal tempered table 12-TET]. Hope that makes sense :upside_down_face: :thinking: and hope the pre-lookup stuff before helps :+1:

P.S. Nice choice on the ER Combo. It’s a keeper!

5 Likes

Wow thanks for the info! This is super helpful. -I’m still digesting your second idea - Thank you so much.

re-read second Idea - really good idea again!

Sorry to bug you - I tried your method. I think I modified the config file correctly and it’s working pretty well - but I’m still getting the odd out-of-index result from using the slope pre-lookup. It’s quite weird. Any ideas how this could occur? I’ve got the index locked to ‘minor’ just for the sake of trying to keep in a key.

key on track one set to ‘minor’ - playing an arp
Track 2 set to 12Tet - sending CVA to group 1 slope.

both tracks set to pre-slope on config file

Hmm…to diagnose what’s happening, the best way may be to do a bit of a methodical check on the idea and slow everything down a bit.

Open your VCA’s, pause the ER-101 and go into follow mode. Scrub the play cursor by turning the encoder so you are moving through the sequence.

When you reach the step in the group that is giving you an unexpected value, examine what the voltage going into the slope-mod is and how it is resulting in a non-indexed value. Do the math on the voltage entering, the slope value you’ve setup in the matrix, and the resulting index # that should come up.

I’ve found when I get odd behaviour on groups it’s sometimes tough to pin-point since they are non-destructive and you can’t actually see what the change looks like in the parameter windows.

Another point which may of importance here (but not sure how it could be causing the behaviour above) is that by default, each CV-mod channel is gated by its corresponding gate input. This can also be edited in the config.ini file.:

; Should the mod CV be gated by its associated mod GATE?
;
; true: The mod CV will act as if unplugged when mod GATE is low.
; false: The mod CV will be active regardless of the state of the mod GATE.
cv-X-gated = true
cv-Y-gated = true
cv-Z-gated = true

2 Likes

Thanks for the extra info - it was a weird one - and should not be affected by your extra config file info!! I switched all the tables to ‘Dorian’ and I’m now in key - no weird out of key notes. In C minor, I had C#'s creeping in - I checked with tuners and still cannot figure it out.

Anyway, overall, this is a really fun way to work with the 101! The Config trick you told me is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

1 Like