Newbiest question incoming : can we recall presets using voltages?

Me neither.
Even with such controlled disruption in ALPHA for instance :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Uh, I didn’t even think about that. That could be a huge problem. I have a hard enough time with triggers getting out of sync when patching/splitting, accidentally bumping or sometimes just looking at a cable carrying a clock signal.

Another idea, bit bonkers but I thought I’d throw it out there anyway! what about allowing the six track recorders the ability to be loopers, looping what is coming from the outputs, in response to say an incoming clock. Then allowing a cross fade to that while it loads another quick save.

The loopers and this cross fade would have to exist on a layer higher than the quick save of course. Would help with the continuous music thing.

1 Like

Could quicksaves be recalled using I2C commands?

1 Like

not concerned w/ that at all, basically pays not to be clumsy

do you actually see folks doing modular stopping, as in playing tracks, like a band stopping to tune up?

I very rarely see it.

perfect, both these would go a long long way.

1 Like

Actually, if I put my performer hat, I want er301 not to stop, obviously.
If I put my programmer hat, I can imagine the complexity of loading/recall.

I’m a performer, here.

1 Like

in fact i perfectly see @odevices point… loading a reaktor project is not the same thing as loading a preset from a reaktor patch via program change…you don’t have program change to load up ableton live projects or stuff like that…
but…in axoloti there’s a way to store some patches on the sd card and have program change or even analog buttons\knobs load them iirc…and the nord micromodular had that too, with the problem of gaps of silence when you switched presets…(i remember always putting a fill-in scene when there was a micromodular patch change)…

Interesting topic!

Thought I’d share how I organise my liveset using the ER301 & ER101/102 as it relates to the topic.

For the non-percusive musical elements coming from my ER301 & other melodic sub-voices I have snapshots in my ER101 let’s say A1 to A9. I will then have chains for my ER301 that are named as follows:

XX_OutYY_Brief-description

Where XX is the snapshot number on my ER101 & YY is either 12 or 34 to represent stereo channels on the ER301.

As I move through my set I’ll load up the next chain for the next snapshot - I don’t have a new chain for each stereo channel & snapshot, normally I have three elements per chain to minimise loading but the snapshot-to-chain naming takes quite a bit of thought out of the operation. The only issue here is that I’m pretty much maxing out the audio buffer because a lot of the samples are quite long recordings.

The issue I have with CV automating the chains is that I would need another sequencer to do this which I couldn’t fit into my live case.

I’ve been thinking of alternative ways of organising my ER301 for live to maybe go for a constant chain and then move the existing chains into mixers and just load mixer presets to match the snapshot which would get around loading silences (that said I always load when other elements are going on). That would be good for setting up FX processing of the changing mixer content… still not decided.

Most likely I’ll start using the HOLD mode in the ER301 (once available) as I do for the ER101 so maybe I’ll stick with my current method.

3 Likes

I’m curious about this, perhaps it will be a nice alternative to CV preset changing.

@odevices can you elaborate on the Hold mode?

Not ready to that yet :bowing_man:

These are the conditions when I wanted to switch presets.

• I use the ER-301 in live performance.
  • Using a 4-track sampler
  • Do not change the chain configuration or sample pool.
  • If you want to call up a 4-track sampler for each song
  • I want to select 10 presets from a stock of about 40 songs during a live performance.

The first way is to use CV Input, but the input is not enough to use the main unit or the i2c device.
I want to save these inputs and use them for something different.

QUICK Save and Chain presets are very smart though.
As the number of songs in the stock increases, it becomes difficult to remember which song uses which preset.

HOLD mode is also a great feature, but if you create a pinn set for each song, it becomes too many and difficult to operate.

My little idea…
Switch pinn sets by voltage.

If you can do this, you will be able to change presets without loading, and you won’t have to remember which preset you are using.
It could also be used as a preset switch for dynamically changing outputs like Shapeshifter or Braids.