No way to trigger a sample in reverse that is broken up into slices correctly?

Of course a slice has an end – it’s currently defined by the start of the next slice (or the end of the buffer). Otherwise one-shot triggering wouldn’t work. It’s an indirect and perhaps-not-particularly-rich definition, but it’s what we have to work with.

Wouldn’t a regular CV signal sampled at the time of trigger work fine for this purpose?

not sure? can you give a more detailed idea of what you mean?

Oh, I think I may have misunderstood what you meant. Do you mean changing the playback direction while the sample is playing? If that’s the case, wouldn’t a regular CV control with a threshold (like the slice select control) do the trick?

EDIT: Err, not the slice control, but other triggers. :smiley:

basically im looking to send one trigger to an input in to play a slice. and send trigger into a second input to change playback from forward to reverse (next trigger would change playback from reverse to forward, etc). not cv, just with triggers. changing the playback direction while the sample is playing or not.

in the sample player, just like another circle next to “trig” called “reverse” (or “direction”) where you could assign another trigger to it, would be ideal.

I see. It’s a “momentary vs. toggled” issue. The punch controls in the looper unit are toggled in the manner you describe. I requested (and @odevices graciously obliged) that the controls respond to gates rather than triggered (i.e. “momentary”). I imagine that both control schemes would work with a hypothetical reverse control.

edit

encapsulate the sample player in a custom unit. add a custom control (“edit control”, choose type= TOGGLE, name it “reverse”), go to “speed” parameter, assign it the local control “reverse”, give it a -2000 gain and you have a button for instantly reversing the sample, toggled. fire it again and it goes back to normal.
easy peasy :wink:

EDIT: i just tried it on a sliced sample and it works but only once, even if you enable play mode = loop. when you fire the reverse it instantly plays back the sample in reverse (speed=-1000) but then it stops. in fact i’m scratching my head to understand why. the nice thing is that if you immediately after press it again it starts playing normally.
why this behaviour?

thanks for the idea, interesting behavior. Did you figure it out why it was doing that and if theres a fix? anyone have any ideas?

i did not try it again, sorry. but i think it’s not a bug but his behaviour. the sample is playing, you reverse his play direction, it reaches the end (start of sample) and that’s it.
it’d be nice if there was a workaround tho…

You mean -2.0 here I think.

You mean -1.0 here I think.

I didn’t get this behavior when I tried it. It keeps looping as it should. I wonder what we did differently? :thinking:

i will try again and check not to have put in some nonsense numbers :slight_smile:

1 Like