Noise in output when using F8R over i2c

I had the exact same experience of trying to control a delay with the F8R. However, I’m not sure that this is a specific issue of the F8R or even i2c. I can reproduce the same behavior with any external modulation sources. I tried sending in a voltage controlled by channel 3 of maths (i.e. a simple manually controlled voltage) into input A1 of the ER-301 and using that to modulate the delay time and just like when controlling the delay time via the F8R, it leads to the same noise/crackling. Same for using an external LFO. But just as you observed, using internal modulation or the knob on the ER-301 works just fine and creates a nice and smooth change.

I think I simply never noticed it because whenever I wanted to modulate the delay time, I used an internal LFO (as that’s much more convenient. And since I didn’t have any other way from the big knob on the ER-301 to manually change the delay time, it never came up?

1 Like

Interesting, I just tried using a few external CV signals as well as the CV output from the face of the f8r itself and I wasn’t able to reproduce. Maybe it was something else you were hearing?

1 Like

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I was thinking about the F8R and just wondered if it’s something reoccurring since a few people seem to have mentioned it…?

I did not, I haven’t tried it lately either. I think there might have been some additional smoothing added to the i2c channels based on some other v0.6 i2c threads I saw but idk what effect it has.

Basically the issue is just high frequency noise when moving the fader. Some unit inputs (like delay) are hypersensitive to it, but it can be removed with a low pass filter. Most units like vcas are unaffected.

Just throw a really fast slew after the SC.CV and it should go away, no? I think that’s what why the feature was added on to 0.6. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep what is a filter if not a really fast slew :wink:

1 Like

I recommend a LP filter instead of a slew because the slew may have audible discontinuities.

1 Like