Parallel processing technique for devices without wet/dry?

I’m wondering if this is possible in the 301. It’s a technique I use a lot in Ableton Live wherein I encase an effect device inside of a ‘rack’ and then insert a blank device inside that same rack. Since I can then adjust the levels of each parallel device, I essentially have control over wet/dry with the blank device acting as the dry, and the effect device acting as the wet. It’s great for Ableton’s Redux effect (which doesn’t have a wet/dry mix control), and I’m trying to do the same in the 301 with the Quantizer, by nesting in a mixer, but can’t figure out the routing.

1 Like

Do you want to mix in the original signal? You could have one mixer with your chain and another with your dry signal. You can reuse the same input on both.

1 Like

3 Likes

FYI, there is a cross-fade unit coming soon. Imagine a unit with two areas for building chains that both receive the same input, and a single parameter that lets you set the output mix between the two chains.

11 Likes

always spoiling us ma’man!

1 Like

Creating the custom unit required building encapsulation capabilities into the base framework. So creating these meta-units is much easier now. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks @NeilParfitt & @jonny.

I’m trying to get this rolling now, but still running into the same issue. I forgot to mention that my audio source isn’t an input, it’s a sample player (stereo) and I want to set this up without sacrificing a pair of outputs. Using outs 1 & 2 (the pair these devices are on) just creates a feedback loop.

Is this possible? Maybe I’m just missing something hidden in plain sight?

Nevertheless, that crossfade hack is really clever, @NeilParfitt! Thanks for the diagram ~

1 Like

It’s hard to tell exactly, but this may be a good example of how the ‘global sources’ feature will come in handy if you are not working with inputs.

1 Like

Nice. Something to look forward to.

I don’t think you’ll be able to do that until there’s bus units.

However, I did try syncing two sample players with the same data and the cross fader worked great.

Neil

2 Likes

Oh, right. That’s a good workaround.

And any slices made on one sample player will immediately affect the other if they’re using the same file.

Very cool.

Hello,

Has anyone made a video explaining how to set up parallel processing? The diagram above is very helpful but, a video would help as well. Thanks!

I’ve demonstrated parallel processes in some videos, but cant recall which :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

The best way with the most flexibility is to use the Global chains to hold your core source material you want to parallel process and then either in other global chains or normal chains (1-4) access that global chain multiple times to process however you like.

I’m still waiting patiently for a unit that will allow parallel processing … until then the above works ok.

2 Likes