Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Pedal Looper

I think trails mode typically refers to a pedal’s ability to have the echo/reverb decay naturally when the pedal is bypassed, rather than abruptly stop. What we’re talking about here is going straight to overdub, so I I guess that’s not technically the same, but would preserve the loop trailing out instead of creating a noticeable splice point.

Any ideas for a global visual indicator of pedal looper state?

What do you mean exactly?

I’m interested in some sort of visual feedback for the rec/overdub/play/stop state of the pedal looper, which is viewable without having to set the main display focus to the pedal looper unit itself. If I could tend to other processes while always having a visual cue as to what looping state I am in, that would be huge especially live. The ABCDx indicators don’t quite do it, and neither does Walk, as its toggle outs present a two-gate-high scenario (I’m assuming this is going to be a go-to combination).

Thanks for reading!

Finally got some time to dig around… pedal looper is ACE!

Having loads of fun sending patterns of triggers (just whatever the outputs happen to be from the ER-101, so they affect the unit to some kind of relevant timing, run through a random set of matrixes on the WMD SSM) to the controls and really not thinking about what I am doing at all :grinning:

Regarding the visual feedback, i saw this today and love the minimal graphics and simplicity. Also wondering if the monome arc could be incorporated somehow?

Reminds me a little of Radial by Cycling '74. Loved that software.

Really nice, I’d like at some point to see here the idea of asynchronous loops being implemented. Possible? Also a visual feedback of time remaining…:slightly_smiling_face:

You could build it. I have been thinking of this too. It’s not hard to put several looper units in a mixer chain next to each other. The tricky part will be when to start recording on one unit and stop on the other. Could be with lots of triggers from something like a ADDAC Manual Gates, or some very clever automatic magic that I will probably not figure out but someone else might :slight_smile:

Now I have a Teletype on the way, I can join in the choruses of “You could use a Teletype to do that” :smile:

Sorry :see_no_evil:

Just use two pedal loopers. There is nothing stopping them from being asynchronous

thanks… that leads me to the search for the right interface…

love the pedal looper… i started working on a grid/teletype based interface for an OCTOLOOPER.

Each row corresponds to a pedal looper unit. The far right button is meant to be used before the looper’s buffer length has been set. You press it, it arms and the next time the clock pulses, it begins recording and automatically stops recording after a number of clock pulses specified in a cell in teletype pattern screen. I have the first two rows at 4 beats long, the 3rd and 4th row are 8 beats long, the 5th and 6th row are 16 beats long and the 7th and 8th rows are 32 beats long, but you can set them all arbitrarily in the pattern screen if you want polyphasic loops.

The button immediately to the left of the far right button is just linked to the stop button of the looper.

The far left button latches and toggles play/overdub and the button to its right is the undo button.

In the middle are faders to adjust the volume of each looper (all the way left is mute).

Need to put a VCA between the input and the looper so that during the “setup stage” triggered by the far right button, it won’t receive any signal. Aside from that, I still have 3 or 4 free scripts to do more stuff. Hoping we get a “reset” function in a future update to the pedal looper!

And of course, thanks to the amazing I2C integration, no patch cables required!

That looks sensational. Am I correct in understanding that this scene would run (but be more difficult to control) without a grid?

It would run, but it wouldn’t be as fun :wink:

No doubt :grin:

Very cool!

Have you tried implementing this with the Feedback Looper instead? It has a more “programmable” interface as well as a reset for sync’ing.

This is a great sound-on-sound simple looper… but I think I’ve realized that for most of my work what I really want is something more like the Feedback Looper, but able to set the reset length dynamically with the initial recording like the Pedal Looper does.

I can do this using @NeilParfitt’s dynamic loop custom unit, so that’s fine. But if there are more looper variations coming then something more like a Feedback Looper with dynamic length would be amazing.

I would think that If you have a sync signal then would use it to set the length of your loop?

I’m looking for a not synced initial loop, like the pedal style one, but with the controls of the other loopers and writing to a buffer that can be accessed from other units.

I love the record-play-overdub style of looping as a control.

That Line 6 loop plead set the standard for looper features and might be a good model for any enhancements. Things like reverse, half speed, double length etc.

If it also used a buffer that could be shared with other units I think pretty much every use case could be accounted for.