Pedal Looper

go into the pedal looper settings and there is an option to copy the pedal looper audio to a buffer which then can be shared by other units.

Is that new buffer updated in real time though? I thought that was just a way to get your looped recording out of the pedal looper. I want a proper shared buffer like the other units, so that I could do something like write into it with the pedal looper and play it back using manual grains at the same time… for example.

good point, and I believe it is not. think it only copies what you currently have in the pedal looper buffer. i think the pedal looper has a different intended use and i went back to using the original looper unit because i like having the ability to share the buffer across multiple units and use it similar to the way you are all the time.

Yeah, me too. But I really prefer the way the pedal looper record/overdub/play control works for live looping.

1 Like

i think it is …:roll_eyes:

If we had an end of cycle pulse output somehow internally, this could be used to clock the feedback loopers. Could get really interesting with clock dividers/multipliers. Not sure how this would be implemented though.

5 Likes

You can basically do this with @NeilParfitt’s dyanmic-loop custom unit.

For my purposes I’m looking for the multi-state record/overdub/play control more than syncing.

1 Like

I’ve just checked you are right…I’d also prefer for the pedal looper to update the buffer in real time…@odevices

3 Likes

This might be more difficult than it is worth. A variable length buffer does not share well.

1 Like

May I confirm how/when that buffer is saved and becomes available in the sample pool?

As i currently understand it I can, for example, place a sample player after a pedal looper in a chain, and access the pedal looper buffer from the sample player at the point of placing that in the chain, but subsequent overdub layers in the pedal looper will not be available in the immediacy in the sample buffer played through the sample player.

When/how is the pedal looper buffer updated such that it can be accessed by the sample player?

I hope that’s not too convoluted a question/example?

In short, the contents of the Pedal Looper’s internal buffer are copied only when you activate the copy operation in the looper’s menu. Overdubs are not automatically copied.

Here is what the Pedal Looper menu looks like after I’ve recorded a 1.8s loop. Notice the use of the verb “copy”. :wink:

You have options to copy to an existing buffer (selected from the Sample Pool) or copy to a newly created buffer. After you have copied at least once, a new option is added to the menu:

to allow you to easily copy to the same buffer as last time.

Thanks Brian,

That’s, in fact, completely obvious in the menu but for some reason I completely misinterpreted it :blush:

I think I had conflated the automatic buffer creation which occurred in a firmware update shortly after it’s creation with an automatic buffer save function…which is why I couldnt find what i was looking for in this or the firmware thread.

Thanks for taking the time to point out the bleedin’ obvious! :grinning:

I’ve been making good use of the pedal looper recently (awesome unit!)

Unless I’m just missing how to do it, one nice option to have here would be some kind of complete reset. IE if you got your initial loop length wrong and just want to trash the buffer and start a new one from scratch. Right now I’m just deleting the unit and inserting a fresh one, which works fine. Even though I’m not sure it would save many button presses, I do it often enough that it feels like it could be a front panel control, or in the header menu.

1 Like

Press stop twice :wink:

Not quite done with the entry for this unit but at least all the parameters are documented:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Pedal_Looper

4 Likes