Period-o-meter

Hi Brian,

Wondering if you had a moment, if you could outline the output behaviour of the period-o-meter.

I created a SIN unit at a frequency of 60Hz and put a Period-o-Meter after it… what does the unit output? A Value based on 60Hz? Is it meant to be a source control unit for only certain parameter types?

Just curious :slight_smile:

This unit outputs the time between positive-going zero-crossings in seconds. So for your 60Hz sine, it will output 1/60.

Still not sure I get it. What is the actual output? Is it a sine at 1/60th of the input frequency?

No. It will output the DC value of 1/60. In other words it outputs the measured period of the input waveform.

1 Like

For example, you can feed its output to the delay time of a Variable Delay unit.

1 Like

Oh that’s interesting!! Thanks, I have been meaning to get round to working out what it did for a while now, will give it a go later this evening :slight_smile:

So does this mean the voltage gets lower the higher the frequency?

Ie: if it’s reporting back 1khz then voltage generated would be 1/1000?

Is there a tracking frequency limit?

I’m guessing the output voltage is always under 1v unless it was reporting a period of 1Hz or less?

You will confuse yourself if you call it 1V because 1 actually maps to the top of the range (10.24V for ABCDx and ~7V for INx). Internal signals are unitless and normalized. Otherwise, what you wrote is correct! :+1:

1 Like