Polyphonic Synthesizer | Bespoke Unit

Yea I did, if you’re looking for wavetable synthesis that’s exactly what the single cycle oscillator is for. You can load an entire folder of wavs and then modulate the scan parameter to interpolate between them

1 Like

OK. Is the single cycle oscillator a custom unit / add on? Sorry these questions are probably really out of place.

It’s a built in unit, so you can use it on its own. Alternatively there’s now a polyphonic option :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, I didn’t [and don’t] see it on the wiki page, which is baffling. Is it called something else?

All good, I’m sure everyone is really grateful for your code :wink:

EDIT seems to fall under uses of the variable speed player, which I haven’t really used yet. Great that you can load several files and interpolate between them :thinking:

carry on :slight_smile:

EDIT again: but I don’t see an interpolate or “scan” option, anything like that :thinking: and can’t find anything on the forum about it either, Don’t sweat it, I’ll find out what’s going on at some point ha

Its a separate buildin unit, if it’s not appearing under oscillators, you might wanna upgrade your firmware…

Good news, almost finished with round robin! (need to clean up and test more) Huge props to @Joe for showing me how :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Alright v2 is finished! Here’s a list of changes:

1. Add round robin as the default gate / voct control.

2. Move the individual voice controls to a separate page to reduce clutter.

3. Set the collapsed view mode to show the scope.

4. Remove the 2 and 8 voice versions but add a 6 voice version. This seems more practical and reduces clutter on the insert screen.

5. Update documentation + add more screenshots.

The round robin control really elevates this unit I think, it’s so much more immediate now and it sounds great with an arp on it!

9 Likes

Thank you for your work !

1 Like

Thanks for your efforts here! Looking forward to trying this out.

And seeing what your code looks like for this:

1 Like

Thanks Joe! That one was pretty simple actually, just add the scope control to the collapsed view in onLoadViews. Figured it would be a nice QOL improvement so you can have some cool looking scope action if you want it :wink:

1 Like

Here’s my latest track, featuring the polyphonic saw for chords:

8 Likes

That’s awesome! So cool to see it being used like this, how did you send the v/oct values into it? Teletype?

Yeah, teletype over i2c. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Ouch! Nice units! Sounds great through some bandpass and then verbs, spacey goodness.

2 Likes

So I’ve recently started playing around with a microphone to sample my voice and make loops and things. It struck me this morning that the single cycle player just takes any buffer, so why not just use a voice recording? It works great! Can make some cool sounds that way.

Then it struck me that, well, if I just added a one-shot player, a slice offset, and a level control per voice then this unit essentially turns into a six voice drum machine. Since this would be so easy, I think I may work on that next. Of course there’s already a polyphonic sampler unit floating around, but I think a six voice variant with built in filters could be an interesting new take.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas in this area about cool ways to do this.

3 Likes

On second thought… maybe that’s going a bit overboard idk ha. Instead I’ve been working on adding a “Hard Sync” setting and multiple secondary oscillators that can be layered to create more interesting timbres.

Not sure where to call it finished though, I’m worried that if I add too many features it will get too complicated and difficult to use.

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

lol or maybe it’s better said: instead of doing N things poorly, just do one thing well; SimpleSynth should just be a synth :stuck_out_tongue:

did any one try this unit in stereo ?, it seems like it is built for mono.

@tomf Been playing with the single cycle version the last couple of days and really loving it. Just throwing this out there as an idea: when one goes to the “voice inputs” page, it would be super cool if each voice had it’s own scan option too. They would have the same relationship that the global V/oct and the individual voice’s V/oct have. Then it would be not only polyphonic but also multitimbral. :exploding_head:

1 Like