Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Programming Lua

If coding interests you, you’ll probably never stop learning.

On the other hand, if you really do want to spend your time choosing one this is good fun, a list of ‘Hello World’ in 28 different languages:

https://excelwithbusiness.com/blog/say-hello-world-in-28-different-programming-languages/

:laughing:

I know most of them to some degree… programmed fairly substantial things in maybe 9 or 10 of them, but again as @Joe says, it takes years to become proficient in any one of them, you will never stop learning.

That was kind of fun to look through and see how many of those languages I’ve worked with over the years. 21 of them! Some very extensively. Some just a very little bit. Some I’d forgotten about - Pascal. :slight_smile:

Pascal was my first ever programming language, actually Turbo Pascal - brilliant language in it’s day! Actually, probably still is, I found it a great first language to learn because it is very fast and very well documented!

The one that made me giggle the most was Fortran… I got quite good at it in the end, but urgh - that language is bloomin hard work!! Hard to believe it is still used today… if ever I decide I want to sell out and make a lot of money, I would brush off my Fortran skills!

I’ve been trying to copy the ADSR unit and turning it into a simpler AD but I haven’t been successful yet. :frowning:

The adsr is written in the base layer, and called with this:

local adsr = self:createObject("ADSR","adsr")

So you wouldn’t gain anything computationally, only visually. If you still want to go ahead you will need to remove the S & R display elements and hard set those values to 0.

I’m trying to go through the lectures on lua.org, methodically and exhaustively, and it’s slow work finding out exactly what’s going on, as I have no programming experience at all. There’s the lua list lua-l, but not sure yet how they are with basic questions. However, you gotta start somewhere, and … it’ll be fun to start using it, I’m sure…

It seems that lua and be used to implement CSound, and I’m guessing that’s easier to code in that C, so that’s exciting too!