Punch and Engage on High Gate Option - Looper

@odevices - is there any way you could add an option so that looper engage and punch could be active only when a gate is high? High gate would activate and low gate would disable. Currently it takes 2 gate signals to turn on/turn off. I was reading about @anon83620728 's slope detector, but the issue there is syncing up the LED of a Monome Walk or ADDAC latched gates. I believe this would add some really nice live performance applications and having this choice would also assist if the pedal looper manifests at some point.

If there is a way to do this now that I’m not aware of using existing units, please let me know.

6 Likes

i’ve not used the looper much but that is a great suggestion, even if its just a tick box menu option.

1 Like

i’m using a monome walk as well to “punch” in the looper and use the “momentary” output which works fine here. i only experienced what you are describing when i used the “trigger” output on walk. maybe i am misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish but just wanted to chime in with the suggestion. :wink:

1 Like

Have you tried the gate to trigger custom unit @bgribble put together? It doesn’t change the behavior of the engage / punch buttons but if you put it after the gate signal, I think you could make it work that way. :wink:

Alas we cannot use these files with the current firmware, no?

Well, there is that small detail…

Aside from that, I’m not particularly familiar with github so maybe I’m missing something obvious, but when I did try to download those files for prior firmware the lua files appeared as .html files and I also had difficulty with the sample files. Can you suggest something I may be doing wrong or could do differently?

Easiest way is to click the green clone/download button on the GitHub page. It will present you with a link to download the files as a zip.

If I remember correctly the gate to trigger doesn’t have too many units inside. Could probably pretty easily load up 0.2, jot the units and settings down, and recreate in 0.3 in a short time.

I am using a custom unit based on the recipe he posted for just this purpose.

Thanks Joe,

Github presented the lua files as code, and I thought i may be able to glean the information from there, but will try your suggestions.

Yeah…I’m aware that there are ways to sort of do it. The problem with all of these workarounds is that you have no reliable feedback if you are not on the screen that shows the trigger circle.

Here are some examples of why I would like to have this capability:

• Addac Latching Gates module could control a 4 different loopers. 1 latch for engage, 1 latch for punch (there are 8 latching buttons). The physical state of the buttons would reliably provide feedback - if it was down, then the engage or punch would be active, no guess work. It would allow you to control several loopers/players without confusion.

• Another scenario: using @rbeny 's ultraviolet plugin - the freeze button doesn’t show you if the sample looper underneath is recording or not. If you could somehow link this to a latching gate, it would provide an experience closer to the Clouds freeze button.

@bc3 - I also use Walk that way, with Momentary output and watch Toggle indicator to provide feedback, but they sometimes get out of sync and have to be set up again. That being said, Walk has been the best option for me so far.

Anyways, I hope that clears up why I think this would be a useful option/setting.

1 Like

@sixnon - here’s my version of the gate to trigger based on @bgribble’s recipe. I’ve updated it to a 0.3 custom unit. To use it, just connect your gate input to the gate custom control at the top (set to A1 by default), and it should fire a trigger when the gate goes high and again when it goes low. I’d probably still check out @bgribble’s version once we can use older pre’s again - he may have made some improvements.

gateToTrg.zip (1.4 KB)

@jonny - I think with this approach you can at least look at the LEDs where your input is connected (A1, etc) - or the LED on the unit generating the gate signal, if it has one. Anyway, I’m not against your request. I’m for it, and agree with your reasons. :slight_smile: Just offering an immediate workaround.

3 Likes

Great, many thanks Joe.

edit: that’s exactly what I’m after!

1 Like

I’m using it with walk in the same way

1 Like

it would definitely be great to have a gate high record option. I can imagine some pretty interesting rhythmic content created this way,

4 Likes

I have been using the gate to trigger recipe inside another CU that I built. It essentially makes short/easy work of building up big/complex, layered samples out of individual voices created on other modules (or the 301). One nice advantage in a smaller system like mine is that you can free up and re-use modules for the next voice after capturing them.

I am planning to share the CU at some point. It’s currently a 0.2 patch though, and I want to replace the sample playback unit with stretch grains. I think that will be a big improvement.

I just got updated to 0.3 last night, and I’ve started reproducing the units on my github repo. I’ll let y’all know when the ones on Github are up to date…

@sixnon I will update the README with better download instrux as well. I have basically lived on Github for the last 8-10 years so I forget that it can be confusing if you aren’t used to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@odevices mentioned he was planning to make loading 0.2 patches in 0.3 possible. I will probably wait for that, for any that are large and not urgently needed.

Thanks @bgribble, probably more about jet lagged ineptitude on my part than anything else!

I will probably wait for that, for any that are large and not urgently needed.

@Joe really? You don’t feel like reproducing evil twin? :wink:

1 Like

That one and the sequential switch would take some doing!

Both of those do seem like they might be good candidates for recreating in the middleware layer, once it is exposed, though!

I was able to rebuild one using the bit bump in about 3 minutes! :slight_smile:

Makes it way easier to figure out, as there’s no finaggling with rational VCAS, just skimming the center until you find the each of the 8 (or more) steps :slight_smile:

1 Like