Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Quantize Group modifications

request

Hi,

I find myself using the group mod as follow:
Pressure points Gate Out > Mod gate in > Group 1 > changing the track duration by Gu 02
to multiply the sequence speed by two.

The main issue for me with this setup is that there is no Gate quantization.
I cannot press or release my fingers on the perfect timing so the module will continue with the clock.

There is an option to quantize the gate in and out to take action only on clock signal when i press the pressure points?

1 Like

all you need is some small logic module (AND gate) between your PP and ER-102.

0 Likes

can you please clarify for me what is a logic module and any recommendation for one?

0 Likes

Ok i did saw what is Logic module, how the logic module serves me between the PP to the 102?
how can i quantize my pressure to the bpm?

0 Likes

You need to feed AND logic with PP gate out and clock (divided clock will be more useful in this case - this will be your “quantization grid” - remember that you can use one of your unused ER-101 tracks as a “clock divider”).

AND logic out > ER-102 mod gate in.

Logic module will send trigger to ER-102 only when both CLOCK + PP GATE will be active.

There is also one downside of this solution - you need to press (and hold) PP before clock hits the AND gate. If you miss this moment then only one input will be “active” and logic module will simply ignore it.

1 Like

That’s a very good idea!
I will try that tomorrow.
Thank you.

0 Likes

Hi Daniel,

I just purchased a Logic module and it didn’t do the trick…

Pressure points gate out > AND gate in + Clock out to AND Gate in 2 to > AND out to 102 gate input.
nothing happens. its not working as I thought. did I miss something?
tried with two different modules.

0 Likes

did you divided your clock before going into AND? AND gate shoud receive 1 click per whole bar.

0 Likes

that didn’t do the trick since the clock is only a short pulse and not a full length note.
so the result is getting the influence i wish for for only one moment when the clock pulse is on.

0 Likes

:thinking:

0 Likes

Still not working for me the issue is when I press the pressure points it affects the gate only when the clock signal is going in the logic module which makes sense for me

0 Likes

I feel your pain man, this was a big issue for me. I thought something was added to the config file though (maybe I was dreaming this!). Will have to take another look, but I remember this being an issue for me that I ended up solving by using a track on my Eloquencer which was as long as I wanted the transform to be. Having like a switch for this would be great as well, fire a gate and it turns on the modification/math transform and then send another gate/trigger to turn it off.

Maybe this is already in the config file, I need to take a look at this tonight.

Ypsi.

1 Like

Hi,

The logic module does make sense for me but it’s now working as aspected.

All I can think of is to have a sequenced trigger that I can enable or disable with a switch or so… but it take the intuitive of the “live” action from it :frowning:

I never opened up the config file.
there is any manual for it? i would like to dig in a big …

0 Likes

The logic solution is incomplete if you want to accomplish a quantized toggle of the duration (as you noticed yourself). It only takes care of quantization, not of toggling. There’s a much simpler solution using a sample and hold module:

• PP Gate -> S&H input
  • Clock trigger -> S&H sample trigger
  • S&H output -> ER-102 mod gate input

Whenever a clock trigger comes in, the S&H module will look at the current voltage of the pp and set it’s output to that voltage. The S&H output will stay at the value the PP Gate out had at the last clock pulse until the next clock pulse comes in. I think that should be exactly the behavior you want.

You have apply pressure slightly before a clock pulse, but that’ll always be the case if you want quantization (as only very special modules can shift future events into the present :wink: ).

2 Likes

Not sure if this helps:

There might be something in there - maybe this option - When applying mod CV to this track, should the mod CV be sampled and held (S&H) by the track’s gate output?

I need to play around with this a bit more.

Ypsi.

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for the reply.

There is any change you can upload a short video so I can see how it works?

0 Likes

Sounds very close to what I seek for, but then i’m depended on the gate length.

0 Likes

I don’t have a camera for a “live action” video, but here is a video of the patch ‘in action’ in VCVRack.

It’s a simple concept, I don’t quite know what to demonstrate. The cables show when the input is high or low (green = high, black = low). The first module is a very slow clock that is sent into the trigger input of a S&H. I manually activate a gate that is routed into the input of the S&H and you can see that the S&H output is always either on or off for a whole clock cycle, depending on whether the gate was high at the time of the clock pulse.

2 Likes

Indeed it worked! thanks for that.

1 Like

Thanks for this as well. I need to fully wrap my head around it. Last night I was trying with a Beatstep Pro. Had it on 32 beats, 16 of those had a gate and tie so 16 on and 16 off, this was then going into the Gate input of the modulation buss. Just so see how it would work, not as great as I had hoped, but that could also be with the math transforms I’m using. May give this technique a try as well, so thanks again for sharing.

How do you use the non-destructive math transforms with the er102? Always interested to hear how others are using it.

Cheers!

Ypsi.

0 Likes