Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Quantizing to held midi notes (via midi to cv)

So I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this (besides shelling out for the ever illusive Instruo Performance Quantizer) and even made a thread about this on muffwiggler which didn’t really help. The idea is to take incoming cv voltages and quantize it to held notes from a midi keyboard.

So far where I’m at is, I have a CV.OCD (a wonderful midi to cv converter) that is sending 4 v/oct values from my keystep into 4 inputs of the 301. I messed around with just having 4 different voices receiving the different note values and triggering in euclidean patterns which was fun, but what I really want is for each voice to scan through the held notes based on incoming cv.

So is there a way I could design a unit that has all 4 values coming in, and a single value is allowed to pass through based off an incoming cv signal? Does this make sense? I’m assuming it would be some combination of switches and logic units? That’s definitely my weak point in modular; logic! (true in many ways lol) The end goal of this is to be as live friendly as possible. In the way that I want to be able to change chords freely and have it respond accordingly.

Anyway any help at all is greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

You might look towards the bump scanner as a tool to make this happen. That’s all the help I can offer… I’m trying to figure out how to use it to crossfade across four vcas as is mentioned in the wiki.

Four Bump Scanners controlling four VCAs sounds like the way to go. Each of these constructs would be in parallel (e.g. inside mixer channels on a chain). The inputs to each of the VCAs would be your 4 V/Oct CVs from the Keystep, and the VCAs would be configured for hard on/off (level set to 0 or 1 by Bump Scanners).

You’d want to set the bump scanners up to each cover 1/4 of the input range: width = 0.25, 0.0 fade, height 1.0, centers evenly distributed: -0.75, -0.25, 0.25, 0.75, assuming you want to cover a full -1.0 to 1.0 (or -10 to 10V) incoming CV range. Feed each of the bump scanners the same incoming CV signal from a global or jack.

Then the incoming CV would “light up” exactly one of the Bump Scanners and enable it’s corresponding VCA (turn the level up from 0 to 1) allowing that particular V/Oct CV to be the one that passes through.

Here’s a video I made about the Bump Scanner unit a while back. Maybe it will be helpful.
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Joe’s_Tutorials_and_Patches#The_Bump_Scanner_Unit_Explained

Amazing! Can’t wait to try this later tonight! Will probably have some questions but I’ll report back… Thanks!

Good luck. Sure, please whatever questions you come up with. Can’t think of a better use of this forum than to make us all super proficient with our ER-301s. Well, that and to occasionally accuse @odevices of goofing off instead of writing firmware. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like you’re building some kind of arpeggiator then? But the pattern may be a little non-standard. What kinds of CV are you planning on feeding the input with?

I guess it could be considered a kind of arpeggiator. Definitely want to send a lot of random voltages and turing machines via a Pam’s New Workout. The idea is to have a fast and intuitive way to perform improvised full compositions via a single keyboard. Would be sending midi into the modular as well as a Blofeld with different voices bahaving differently. Blofeld holding everything down with the lush pads, and then other semi randomly triggered arpeggios and harmonies coming from the modular to create a colourful, and lively full composition.

Sounds neat. :slight_smile:

intriguing! i’m into building composition tools too!
if you want to check it i’ve done an “analog” shift register patch (waiting for new firmware to pack it in a custom unit tho) and @mudlogger also went along in modifying it.
here:

What I do with this patch was use the method by Keith Fullerton Whitman in Generators, which was to mix different Mixers containing quantised random cv and noise and use offsets on the global channel assigned to an attenuverter for playing live. The same attenuverter is also assigned to the master CV. The more I turn the attenuverter the more quantised random and the higher the pitch. In that sense, in a live situation you can play the patch by guiding it to be more or less chaotic. I also assign the same attenuverter to a filter, so the one knob does 3 things. I live loop using a w/ also whilst pitching up / down.

If you goto 1 hr : 59 mins in the Facebook link below you can see this track played live a few weeks ago in Bangkok.
My liveset starts from 1 hr 33 mins onwards for anyone interested.
It’s a livestream so not the best audio.

After having to crunch some new numbers upon the realization that Pamela only outputs 0-5v, I got it working! Added a S&H at the end of the chain being triggered by the same gate going to the envelope to keep out any artifacts from changing chords slightly out of time. That and I took the same random voltage scanning through the 4 midi notes and sent it into a precision adder to add some octaves to the randomization! Thanks for the help! I knew there was a way to do this, I just needed some well versed minds to chime in!

Definitely gonna check both of those links out! I’m always interested in how other people are performing with their modulars as its the main reason I got into this game! :slight_smile:

be sure to check @Joe’s new bespoke octave shifter if you want to use the external precision adder for something else!

I’m using the Grid Quantizer :wink:

Here is one of my first jams with this idea! Everything is following the chords coming from the MPC (and sequencing the Blofeld, off screen!) Very excited to implement this idea into a live environment. I’m starting a new project with this incredible drummer, and I’m going to put contact mics on each part of his drum set, and have them triggering different events within the system, while I dictate the chords and tonality. Thanks again for the help! :slight_smile: