Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Question about the ADSR unit

Hi all, first post here but I did a bit of searching around to see if this has been asked before and I dont think it has. I’ve noticed I can’t select an alternate trigger source rather than using the selected channel’s input jack. Is it possible to ‘decouple’ the ADSR unit (or any utility unit) from affecting the channel it’s contained within? When I say decouple I mean I’d like to use it as an independent unit with its own trigger in and envelope out preferably using a few jacks in the A1-D3 matrix, thereby not affecting anything in the channel.

Or would this break the whole ‘channel paradigm’? I think it would be neat.

Could you give a bit more context about what you are trying to do? At the moment, I’m having a hard time understanding what you are asking for :sweat_smile:

I guess my biggest question is what do you want the ADSR to affect?

1 Like

I’m not quite either sure but I’m guessing you are talking about the difference between “unit input” (in the case of ADSR) and source selection? You are really not obliged to use the channel’s input as a trigger for the ADSR, it can be any signal coming from anywhere internally or externally, as long as you put the ADSR at the right from that signal coming in from a channel or another unit, it will pick that up and trigger the envelope. I’m not sure if that makes it any clearer? :confused:

I guess it will be best if you elaborate more on your use case…
(I.e. answering Brian’s question)
But are you aware of the possibility to set up units and whole chains in a global chain?
In a way that ‘decouples’ units and whole chains from channels…

• you can tap into them from every channel
  • they stay ‘alive’ even when you change or delete chains in the channels
  • they are being calculated prior to units and chains in the channels

What I had initially wanted to do was use the ADSR unit to create an envelope for a separate VCA module, in this case a XAOC Tallin. so i added the ADSR to a channel and was hoping i could just use the jack labeled A1 as its input source but when i go to make that selection on the smaller screen it reads “unit input only”.
I was processing FX for other modules with this channel (and the other 3 channels doing the same) otherwise i would have just used the channel solely as an envelope generator. So instead of consuming a whole channel just to use as an ADSR, I’d like to assign the I/O of the ADSR to the jacks of the A1-D3 matrix in the bottom right corner of the 301 without the envelope modifying the sound being processed through the channel I/O in any way. Is that possible? I hope that makes sense.

Blockquote I guess it will be best if you elaborate more on your use case…
(I.e. answering Brian’s question)
But are you aware of the possibility to set up units and whole chains in a global chain?
In a way that ‘decouples’ units and whole chains from channels…

• you can tap into them from every channel
  • they stay ‘alive’ even when you change or delete chains in the channels
  • they are being calculated prior to units and chains in the channels

I dont know what global chains are (I’m new), but if i had to guess from the sound of it they can be used to allow units to operate as if they are completely separate eurorack modules, if thats the case that definitely the solution. Homework time…

I hope you won’t be to disappointed to hear that there is no CV output possible from the ER-301. The four outputs are AC-coupled.

I just figured out how global chains work and started to realize it wasnt possible without the output coming out of 1 of the channel outputs (or at least i havent figured it out yet). But what i was hoping was that the envelope voltage output signal could be assigned to 1 of the jacks in the lower right corner, lets say D3 for example. are these 12 jacks also AC-coupled? I know they take voltage in as i have used the malekko voltage block to sequence sliced drum loops. can they not also send voltage out? that would be sweeeeet.

They cannot send anything. They are DC-coupled inputs. The ER-301 only has 4 outputs.

1 Like

ah, oh well. thanks

as you stated:

but please, don’t get this the wrong way!
plenty of friendly people here to help you out,
no matter how clueless you might feel at this point of your journey:)

and please, continue to put up your questions here!
last but not least it will ultimately lead to a better ‘manual’ for
other beginners, too.
now, though it isn’t meant to be complete (nor perfect) you’ll find valuable
information on the wiki
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301
i find the page about ‘signal flow’ being one of the most important
ones for understanding your new sound computer
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Signal_Flow

@NeilParfitt’s and @Joe’s videos under the ‘getting started’ section
helped a lot of people to take off with the er-301.
and i personally find Joe’s ‘Tutorials and Walkthroughs’ (last section on the wiki) to be very useful and educational.

carry on!

4 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate that even though I’m more of the learn by doing type, but when I hit snags I ask.

2 Likes