Rate of Change

here’s a global chain preset consisting of 4 chains to give you the rate of change for an incoming cv on A1. it’s really easy to setup, load the global chains, put your cv knob or fader into a1 and use the global chain roc output for rate of change cv behavior (slow knob or fader movement = less cv, faster movements = more cv).
(maybe @joe can make a simpler unit out of this, the concept is pretty simple and based on this thread on lines: https://llllllll.co/t/synthesizing-control-schemes/23851)
calculate the min and max from one cv source, one dry, one slewed or delayed a few milliseconds. then mix the max and inverted min value (subtract min from max) and you get a voltage proportional to the rate of change.)

ROC.globals (7.9 KB)

5 Likes

Very cool - that’s similar to how the motion sensor unit in Accents works.

How are you using it?

currently i’m just testing with it. yesterday i tried this roc with a random source hpf and it worked great (a first order high pass filter is a differentiator, so this gives you the rate of change voltage depending on the cutoff frequency) i then tried it with the 301 hpf and it didn’t work, that’s why i built it with the min/max.
more and different physical control over sounds and timbres, that’s what i’m interested in. over at the lines forum we discuss this on the physical modelling thread, specifically with bowed string sounds where the roc can work pretty well to modulate volume and timbre changes depending on how fast you move the knob, fader, ribbon controller etc.

4 Likes

Ah, yep, I have read most of that thread on lines. Planning to go back through and try the tips and discoveries you all have posted in it at some point. Very interesting stuff!

2 Likes

very nice! i think it’s pretty much exactly the “bars” work on my Shbobo Shnth. thanks!

1 Like

super interesting – looks v useful! thanks :slight_smile: