Rave Tool Custom Units - JP-80XX Super Saw

the standard er-301 tuning is A not C.
just add 3 semitones as offset on all oscillators\samplers you need and you’ll be good :slight_smile:

Here you go!
How to Emulate the Super Saw – ADAM SZABO.pdf (678.8 KB)

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

as i mentioned above, i couldn’t find an intuitive way to set the offset unit to be 3 semitones. any tips for that?

I believe you want to add an offset of 0.025 for 3 semitones. (0-1 is 10 octaves, .1 is one octave/12 semitones, so each semitone is 0.008333333333)

I’m not in front of my 301 so I can’t confirm currently

i usually don’t do it with the Frequency parameter but directly on the v\oct “tune” parameter.
just set its offest (called tune on the small display) to 300 (300 cents = 3 semitones)

1 Like

That makes way more sense. Shows how long it’s been since I’ve spent time with my 301 :frowning:

1 Like

Great, that looks like the best way to handle it! Thanks

1 Like

glad to help :slight_smile:

Was playing with this again last night… ran it through Three Sisters band pass… sounds so good! Is this unit going to still work when I take the v0.6 leap? Is the author still with us? @anon17137829

Yes the author is present.

oh… is it you? i thought the OP changing to an anon username might mean they deactivated or something.

No not me but a clever piece of design I often return to.

I thought the creator of this unit was no longer around as well. It’s a UI layer unit so I think there’s a pretty good chance it will just work in 0.6. Only one way to tell. But I’d think somebody could probably fix it if not.

yea that’s what i figured, but it also requires a .wav file or two (iirc) and without knowing anything about v0.6 packages, i wondered if those could be bundled with the new packages so that they don’t have to sit outside of the unit in some directory somewhere.

Yeah, I think so long as it loads up and works in v0.6, all someone would need to do is go into the new Package Manager in the admin area and create a new package. Point to the chain/unit file, and it will create a new package including the wave files. Could be re-posted as a .pkg file.

The only weird part will be that the package creation process asks for an author and since this author apparently asked to be de-identified… so I’m not going to volunteer to do it.

If someone knows this author outside of the forum and could get their permission, maybe they could re-package it for 0.6.x. That seems like it’d be the best way.

1 Like

I have it working on v.0.6.06, but it wont run more than one unit very well (I was trying to see if it would be possible to make chords with it by using three of them), it uses way to much CPU. I see 57% CPU usage with it, a ADSR and a VCA. Running just the JP-80XX on 0.4.27 it shows 48% CPU usage. It does sound pretty awesome as one unit though, and works great in a simple chain as above (adding a delay only adds about 1-2% to CPU load).

1 Like