Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Reducing sample amplitude?

Hi, I have a load of samples (mainly low quality samples from movies) that must have fought and lost the loudness wars. They work fine in ableton and such but when loading on the 301 they are a hot mess. There is probably already a trick to do this (and I did try the normalize and remove DC functions), but can I greatly reduce the base sample amplitude on the unit? I tried loading them and greatly reducing the gain, but the clipping remains, just at a softer volume.

Could it be the .wav format that is causing it? I notice that this mostly happens on .wavs that are 88kbps, and I’m running 96khz firmware…

88.2 khz you mean? what’s the kbps? kbps is a measure of bandwidth for streaming compressed files, not for .wav imho.

try to batch resample them at 44.1 or 96 and see if they translate better

I mean if you right click the wave file, go to the details tab, and scroll down it says that they are 88kbps. Most ‘good’ .wavs are in the several hundred to thousand range.

What would be a good program to use for batch processing them?

audacity?

2 Likes

Thanks! That did the trick…I used audacity to convert them all to 44.1 khz @ 16-bit and all is well. Previously they were 11 khz @ 8-bit I believe, that’s why they were 88kbps.

1 Like

cool! glad you sorted it out!

May I have one of these samples for analysis?

FYI, this doesn’t make sense to me since integer format samples are loaded such that the maximum encodable range is scaled to fit in the range -1 to 1 (i.e. full-scale). So for 8-bit samples, the maximum encodable range is -127 to 127 which is loaded and then scaled by 1/127 so that the values fall in the range of -1 to 1.

1 Like

so in theory any bit depth should work? and what about low sample rate? (11khz?)

The ER-301 doesn’t care about sample rate when it loads your samples. It does use the sample rate to inform (variable speed) sample playing units the ‘correct’ rate at which to re-interpolate.

In other words, any sample rate is OK. The supported formats are:

• 8-bit signed integer
  • 16-bit signed integer
  • 24-bit signed integer
  • 32-bit signed integer
  • 32-bit float
1 Like

Hi, OK. Here are a couple examples. No judgement!! Haha :grinning:

1 Like

These files are in 8-bit unsigned format. Hmm. :thinking:

Aha.

So it looks like 8-bit files are always unsigned which makes this a bug. I’ll have it fixed in the next release. :bowing_man:

2 Likes

Cool. Happy to hear that!

1 Like