Rumor - Algorithmic Reverb Custom Unit

This has been on my list to try for a while, and all the recent requests in the 0.3 dreams thread inspired me to actually try it. My expectations about how good of a reverb could be created using UI patching were fairly low. Keeping that in mind, this kind of exceeded my expectations. Don’t put your Lexicon on eBay, but I am getting some pretty nice reverb sounds out of it!

It’s called Rumor. You know, it takes your sound and puts in inside of a room. A roomer. A Rumor. :rofl:.

Anyway, here’s a quickie sound clip. The sound source is Evil Twin, and a little 1 bar sequence is repeated a few times, moving from dry to ambiance to room, to a pretty large space at the end. The last one is also using the ducking feature.

The LUA file and a user guide are included in the zip file.

I’d be really interested if anyone has suggestions for improvements. Runs at ~15% CPU.

Rumor.zip (99.9 KB)

7 Likes

What!

Never mind oh three, I just want some time to try out all the different things you’re cooking up. Thanks so much – difficult to describe how awestruck I am by the fact that this is something you just whip up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice… network of delays?

Yes, a half a dozen reads of the Gordon Reid article provided the foundation. :wink:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/creative-synthesis-delays

3 Likes

I know what you’re thinking even without talking to you it would seem :smiley:

1 Like

You guys are on fire!!! :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

I had nothing to do with this one - I just guessed what @Joe did :wink:

1 Like

You are still on fire. :slight_smile:

Knocking another experiment off my list, I tried your Piano16 preset, which makes a really nice demo combined with Rumor. Here’s Beethoven moving from the bedroom to the concert hall (first few bars are dry).

4 Likes

Very cool @Joe!

I haven’t tried this yet but if you want to experiment: Either before or after the delay lines, try convolving with a short (20-30ms) exponential burst of white noise or velvet noise.

Also it just occurred to me that if we are going to have feedback in the delay line then we might as well have both the backward and forward types. So currently the delay units only have feed-backward:

combFilter

Which produces comb filtering effects due to the notches and resonances introduced. I think I will add feed-forward to the next version of the delay unit as well:

allpassFilter

This way we have access to all-pass filters that are used in phasers and reverbs.

9 Likes

inspiring!!!

Oh thats cool man! :slight_smile: need to try this out tonight.

How is feedforward different from allowing some dry mix through the delay?

Feed-forward signal is added before the point where the feed-backward is tapped.

2 Likes

And it is inverted.

1 Like

Ahh yeah I can see that in the pic :slight_smile: thanks

Thanks! I may be misunderstanding what you’re saying. I gave it a shot. Convolution with this type of sample (I used a 25ms exponential white noise impulse) either before or after the network of delays seems to cause out of control feedback. At very low wet values (0.00x) it took a while to build up but when I tried it with a default wet value of 0.5 I had to make a fast dive for the kill switch. :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s because there are so many feedback paths in play here? Each individual delay is fed back on itself using the built in parameter, and the each network is fed back on itself again with a routing.

I think I understand the premise of what this would be trying to accomplish though, to decorrelate the signal from the other feedback iterations. Maybe I need to find another spot for it though, or just change the gain structure?

Forward feedback is a new one to me. I’ll look forward to trying it out!

1 Like

Is there a unit version of this?
Really searching for a better reverb

Try changing the file extension from .LUA to .UNIT

Loaded, but no sound when injecting audio in inL inR controls @Joe

I don’t think I’ve looked at this for a couple of years. :wink:

If I can remember what I did I might consider re-making it as a middle layer unit.