Sample Player Aliasing

Would it be possible to add a menu option (or new sample player unit) that allows one to disable all aliasing? I’m craving that vintage sampler feel. Already getting pretty far with bit reduction via S&H but aliased pitch shifting would be next level.

2 Likes

This is an interesting and rather deep subject. Are there any samplers in particular you are trying to emulate? I believe many early samplers used variable-rate clocks and thus didn’t exhibit any aliasing at all. Of the fixed-rate instruments, I’d be surprised if there were many “professional-grade” samplers that didn’t employ some kind of interpolation scheme to reduce aliasing. The good old Casio SK-1 certainly produces a lot of delightful aliasing…

There are many interpolation schemes, and some schemes are better that others at suppressing aliasing. Some samplers used lower bit depths or non-linear encoding, which also adds to their character.

There are patent filings that contain some interesting high-level details about interpolation used in samplers from Akai and Roland, but that is only a small part of the puzzle. There are many other factors that contribute to any instrument’s overall character.

1 Like

SP1200!!

2 Likes

I know it’s not the same thing but I really like the Harvestman stuff so much for this kind of character; Malgorithm mk][ is especially useful in this regard, the sheer scope of sound destruction in that module is vast.

The quirky non-integer bit depth reduction rewards any time invested.

If there is one problem with it it is that the scope is too big! It’s impossible to scan through all the options, but it usually doesn’t take much exploration to get some pleasing results. On the other hand some days, it just doesn’t seem to work at all. It’s not going anywhere though :slight_smile:

Here’s an interesting read: PHYSICAL AND BEHAVIORAL CIRCUIT MODELING OF THE SP-12 SAMPLER

This is a bit off topic, but I’ve been really enjoying Sonic Charge’s Cyclone to get that old sampler sound. It emulates the hardware of the Yamaha TX16W including CPU, DSP chips, and DACs. I’m a bit obsessed actually.

1 Like

there is a guy on the muffs talking about harmonic aliasing which is quite pleasant to my ears
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2735031#2735031

those are all awesome links.
perhaps once the custom units open up we will see some takes on these ideas.
for now i’m just sampling things to the phonogene first :slight_smile:

2 Likes