Lots of questions here. Let’s see if I can answer them all.
First, let me thank you for taking the time to post your feelings! It’s hard to be critical without sounding negative, yet you have succeeded in doing that. Very awesome!
My software development priorities are in this order:
- Fix bugs that cause crashes.
- Fix bugs that interfere with users being able to save/recall their work.
- Fix bugs that interfere with the use of existing functionality.
- Implement features whose absence interferes substantially with the use of existing functionality.
- Everything else is cherry picking.
That being said, I admit that sometimes something jumps out of order (especially with respect to 4 or 5) because implementing something immediately while it is being discussed or is fresh in the mind is better than putting it on the back burner and letting it get cold.
The documentation development is happening in parallel over on the wiki but is going slow. I sincerely apologize for that. It is expanding little by little every week.
The framework re-write was completed back in v0.1.x. We’ve been back to the regular cycle of accepting feature requests, prioritizing, implementing and testing for a few months now.
Auto-slice is on the list of definites. It just keeps getting pushed back because of 2 things:
- The lack of auto-slice is not really in the way of anyone getting to the place where they want to go. It is more of a convenience feature, albeit an important one!
- Auto-slice has a dependency on fixing how slice data is associated with the audio files. Remember the discussion here: Slice using computer?. I would like to resolve this issue first.
Probably, the most accurate ETA that I can give you on auto-slice is “by the end of this year”. I hope its not too disappointing.
My goal is definitely NOT to target only advanced users. I’m not even sure what an “advanced user” means! I seriously doubt that any of the concepts in the ER-301 are out of your reach. Clearly, it you are just a busy person without the time to sift through the chaos of this forum to look for answers! So tell you what, when I finally get v0.2.x of the firmware to a stable state around of the end of this month, I will spend a few weeks working on nothing but documentation over on the wiki. Hopefully, that will provide the necessary springboard to alter your perception of the ER-301 to just a collection of simple building blocks.
I definitely feel your pain here. The preset loading system is currently clunky for the following 2 reasons:
- Dependencies on how each user organizes their files on the SD card.
- The backward-ness of having to insert a unit (of the correct type) first and then load a preset.
I’m in the process of fixing this. The priority of this exceeds the priority of auto-slice unfortunately.
None taken. Thank you so much! Let me know if I left anything out in my answer.