Sampling single note

Awesome
One last quest
Does this 4 voice patch use a lot of CPU?

I don’t remember exactly, or if I even checked. Given that there were 4 copies of grain stretch players I’m sure it used a fair amount of CPU. But I’m sure it didn’t use all of it.

1 Like

Ok but still possible resample the result or record on the 6 trax right?
So you can keep evolving, layering, more and more :smiley:

I sense that your questions are more of a pre-sales nature at this point than specific how-to’s, so I just checked for you. 4 mixers and 4 Grain Stretch players on the 48k firmware each actively playing a sample put the CPU at 13%. So, all kinds of room left to do other things.

Yep, you could absolutely resample the result, rinse and repeat. It’s also easy to save each iteration along the way in case you want to come back and create a new branch from some earlier place in the process.

1 Like

Amazing
Only 13%
It s a paradise
Yes I was asking before buy
And before starting to study all the tutorials

Huge thanks for all

1 Like

If you haven’t already found it, check out @NeilParfitt’s awesome getting started video series. Some of the earlier ones date back to firmware version 0.1 but the concepts are still pretty much the same. It’s just that many things are better and easier now, and there are lots more features! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah i started from @NeilParfitt tutorials
but i was immidiately falling in love without been sure if this module does all what i need so i asked here :smiley:
looks much powerfull than expected…

sadly my er 301 is coming second hand cause i really can’t handle waiting time and italian customs time
but i will love it like a new one

1 Like

And the firmware is only on version 0.3, so it will continue to get more powerful. :wink:

If you think you’ll like it, chances are you probably will. I think it’s awesome and I know many others here share that sentiment. The only thing that seems to trip someone up occasionally is the learning curve. It’s not hard to learn. But the firmware is still in rapid development and so things change fairly frequently. There is no complete manual at this point for that reason.

But if you go in planning to spend some quality time exploring it and using the resources available (wiki, videos, written tutorials, asking whatever questions on the forum here) you should be just fine.

1 Like

no problem with learning curve
i can look at the screens for hours and hours

thanks a lot again :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

Italian customs time is not a problem with the carrier O|D chooses, and it’ll arrive at your door in 4 days from japan. Fastest shipping ever.

(fellow italian user here)

1 Like

weeeh
sono human machine connection di instagram
grazie mille
l’ho preso da un tizio UK… pensavo che i tempi delle dogane italiane fossero intorno alle tre settimane

1 Like

hahah, nice to meet you. The italian modular community is so small that we end up being always the same people :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @Joe! I’ve got a question about the 12tet mapping of samples. I’d like to load up some multi-samples to play via CV. I tried the grain stretch and it was interesting, but i think the variable player works better for my purposes. Really just trying to make basic CV controllable sampler instruments that employ several samples at different pitches to keep the sonic quality relatively consistent, but without overdoing it with heaps samples.

With the 12tet mapping, do i need to have a slice/sample for every possible note? Could i have one sample cover 3 or 4 semitones and the next sample cover the next 3 or 4 semitones and so on? If the CV goes out of range high or low, does it just pitch-shift the highest or lowest sample? Perhaps there’s a better way to have different samples assigned to different CV ranges? Not going for anything fancy here, just basic sample mapping. I don’t know if this has already been discussed. I couldn’t find it.

Also while on the subject, do the v/oct slider and speed slider essentially control the same thing? The CV i’m using (from a Sonic Smith pitch to CV converter so i can play the 301 with my trumpet!!) comes in a few octaves too high, so i have been setting v/oct at -36 and adjusting the speed for fine tuning. Would love to be able to go down one more octave but not sure how. The CV output from the Sonic Smith is in such a high range, and using a precision adder to tune it down is inconvenient.

Thank you!!

Hey @pico. You’re right about how 12TET mode works. The idea is that you’d have 1 sample per semitone sliced and adjacent to one another. There’s currently no way to tell it that a particular slice should cover additional semitones in each direction.

As far as spreading a sample across several notes, I’ve done some experiments with this. The best way I’ve found is to use 1 sample player per sample (each in a mixer), and use bump scanners to select which sample player’s output is audible (by controlling VCAs). It seems feasible to do this for a couple octaves worth. If you’re trying to do 88 notes it starts to get kind of tedious.

I’ve also tried to do this in a single sample player and using a bump scanner to manipulate the index but it doesn’t work as well because it can get kind of weird when you change pitch in a legato kind of patch, it doesn’t trigger the slice change (b/c there’s no add’l gate). Can’t remember off the top of my head if that was only an issue when also using loop points in the sample or not…

I’ve actually thought about doing a tutorial on this but I haven’t because I wasn’t sure anyone would be interested. If you would be then feel free to encourage me haha.

The speed and V/oct on the sample player are basically the same thing. Just the speed is a linear control and V/Oct is exponential to track a Euro pitch input. If you want to go down to, say -4800c, I think you can. Just because the control only goes to -3600 doesn’t mean that’s its limit. So basically in the V/Oct subchain, right after you select your pitch input signal, also insert an Offset unit, and I think you’ll want to set it to -0.1 to drop one additional octave. One thing you can do is go into the system settings and select the setting to have the controls show ‘actual’ values - that would make it easy to confirm that a -0.1 offset brings it to -4800c.

1 Like

That is so interesting. Will it still scale correctly?

My favorite idea of how this would work would be:
New gate selects appropriate sample. Playing legato from that point would just pitch bend the sample already playing until gate goes low. New gate selects new appropriate sample and so on. It’s similar to a feature in the Kenton CV to Midi converter, though it didn’t work all that well, but I think it would sound interesting. I wrote to the guy from tubbutec and he may include it in the next firmware of the uTune. All this because i haven’t found any truly playable CV to midi conversion, and so am trying to load samples into the 301 as a stop-gap.

As far as bump scanners… i know there are threads on that… and I think i spent a day once trying to understand the concept, but nobody really started at the beginning so i still have a very fuzzy idea of what one actually does or how to use it. If anyone has written an explanation that a 10yr old could understand please point me there!

Which of your suggestions would be most lightweight on the CPU? Not trying to do 88 notes, but 2.5 to 3 octaves would be great.

thanks so much @Joe !

1 Like

Yes, I think it’ll scale correctly. It’s just a constant offset. 0.1 equals 1V, so you’re just offsetting it one more octave in addition to what you’ve already offset by adjusting the parameter to -3600.

Single sample player with multiple slices and a bump scanner controlling index/which slice gets selected based on V/Oct would be most CPU friendly. Each sample player adds ~2-3% CPU if I recall. The bump scanners add CPU too, but an equal number of them would needed for both solutions, so, kind of a wash.

Based on what you describe, I think it would work. I’m trying to recall the specific scenario I ran into with the single sample player, and it’s just escaping me right now. Perhaps I’ll take another shot at that approach and do a video.

Here’s a video I made about the bump scanner a while back. I thought I started from zero, but of course I have no idea how well I succeeded in explaining it. Maybe it’ll help if you haven’t already seen it?

Bump Scanner Explained

Edit: I re-watched the first couple of minutes of that video, and my handwriting on that ipad screen looks about like a 10-year-old’s. So maybe that helps? :joy:

1 Like

haha i’ll check it out. Thanks @Joe

Thanks for the tutorial! I came across it when I was trying to search for how to loop a section of a sample so it would play in definitely.

I have things set up the same as you mention in step 19. I’m using a variable speed player, it is set to loop on gate high, and the loop in and loop out is set for a period within the sample. Note that I have no slices set up with the sample.

When I give a constant high gate, the sample does loop, but the entire sample loops. it doesn’t repeat in my loop in/out section as I expect. Am I missing some part to get this to work correctly that you happen to know? I am on latest stable 0.3 firmware

Update:

I was able to get the section I wanted to loop indefinitely by placing slice points where I wanted the loop to be and setting play duration to slice (which works for my use case). I tried setting the loop in between two slice points with it set this way but that did not work.

Forgive me for unintentionally leaving you hanging here, @jlmitch5. Could have sworn I replied to this but I guess I didn’t.

Did you get this sorted? That doesn’t sound right. I think you should be able to loop on gate high using the loop points whether or not you have any slices.

No problem @joe. I didn’t come back to this exactly, but the workaround I mention in my update did work. For the last performance I needed looping samples, I just exported the samples as the exact part I wanted to loop which was very easy to set up. I’ll let you know if I run into this situation again.

1 Like