Scala File Support

Any tips for a software with scala export that would make it easy to create equal tempered scales (no micro tuning)? For instance I’d still like to have a separate minor scale for each fundamental in my ER-101/102. I know that this is possible with every software suggested here, but if only working with equal tempered scales it’s tedious to type in frequency values for each step.

This is daunting as 4,802 Scala files are a lot to consider. I took 12 random files and threw them into my Scales directory and find them all interesting, this is going to be difficult.

@hyena have you figured out a rough number of files that can be put on the SD card without bogging things down for 50 minutes or even 2 minutes?

not yet, as of now i put in some 20 of them and all is fine and smooooothy :slight_smile:

thanks to the scala support in scale quantizer i started a research on a type of procedural composition, based on a synthesized metallic percussion instrument and his inharmonic series.
i formatted a scala file based on the ratios between partials and i will use it to quantize notes. thanks @odevices for this great feature and for always listening to this community! you are empowering my creativity and my professional life as (non-)musician

1 Like

@odevices Do you have a scala file of the 22-Shruti scale you used as one of default scales in the quantizer? I am interested in having my scale sets match between my ER-301 and O&C, so I’m using the ER-301 defaults and a handful of custom ones I made as my main set.

And if you have a copy of the 24-TET, that would be nice too. It looks like it’s just a doubling of 12-TET, but it would be nice not to manually enter in the values.

Thanks!

It is really easy to write scala files :wink:

• Lines that begin with ! are ignored.
  • One line with a description.
  • One line with the number of tones.
  • Then one line per pitch: If there is no decimal point then the value is interpreted as a ratio. If there is a decimal point then the value is interpreted in cents.

Here I have typed 22-shruti and 24-tet for you:

! 22-shruti.scl
!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shruti_(music)
!
! 24-tet.scl
!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_tone_system
!
5 Likes

yes, the scala file format is really easy! i’m loving this feature and it empowered me to work on a compositional idea based on the inharmonic series of metallic percussions.
still have to refine the whole concept but already did some tests and when it will be ready i think it will be something.
the cool thing is that it will be almost entirely centered around the er-301, showcasing its capabilities as a powerful laboratory for both sound design and composition.
will post results as i approach the final goal :slight_smile:

Many thanks! Naturally, I discovered the hard way that the O&C taps out at 16 step scales so I can’t load these on there even if I wanted to (which I do, alas).

Hi, is there a simple trick to getting the .scl files to appear visible in the 301 file structure? i’ve placed your hyenabansuristryx.scl file inside the ‘scale-quantizer’ presets folder (amongst a few other tests) and so far no luck getting it to appear when loading scale quantizer presets. does it need a ‘custom-unit’ or some other way to be applicable? apologies if it’s super obvious just currently stumped. thanks for any guidance.

As of v0.4.04:

Any scala (*.scl) files located in ER-301/scales will be automatically added to the list of available scales.

1 Like

Ah thanks!!.. i can now get Hyena’s scale appearing within the scales when inserting a scale quantizer unit. i’ve been making a few other scales using wilsonic and exporting and saving as .scl but no luck yet with any of those. trying different unicode exports in text-edit on a mac but nothing clicking yet. i noticed Hyena’s file is identified in the mac os as ‘simple text’ file while the wilsonic .scl files are noted as ‘plain text’.

You should use ASCII encoding not Unicode.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll look if possible via TextEdit

nope, you need some more advanced editor. on mac i used TextWrangler(free app) if i remember correctly, and had to fiddle a bit before finding the right setup but then it worked flawlessly.

ah here it is (from this same thread, some posts above:

hyena

Oct '18

after finding the correct file text encoding (in text wrangler set it in the preferences to Western (ISO Latin 1) ) then Scala correctly sees my files but i thought it would be in alphabetical order in the er-301 scale quantizer so i thought it wasn’t there.

newly added files are added near the end of the custom scl list but BEFORE the factory er-301 scales :smiley:
it WORKS !!!

1 Like

Hyena, Thank you again!! I did read that but initially without quite grasping… or wrangling. Onwards!
This is a massive potential. Very stoked. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Wow this is great - I don’t know why but it looked really difficult to me and mr OD just blew it away…I’m SO happy I found this place

Hyena what text editor do you use?

1 Like

On mac i used text wrangler. I recently switched to windows and havent looked yet for a good one. Maybe even open office stuff but i have to check. Maybe look on the scala website

yesssss!.. thanks again Hyena, finally can load up some of those amazing Moments of Symmetry custom scales
(for anyone working on older macs)…
found an archive copy of TextWrangler 4.5.12 that will work with osx 10.6 or older…
here:
http://www.barebones.com/support/textwrangler/coderdojo.html
saving as per the following:
Line Breaks: Windows (CRLF)
Encoding: Western (Iso Latin 1)

2 Likes

For windows text editors : Notepad++ is pretty good and I think sublime text is also available on windows.

3 Likes

Try Atom, it’s free, open source, and cross-platform.

3 Likes