Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Sequential switch

I’m still tweaking it - In the meantime I could do a quick video?

3 Likes

A video is always helpful and inevitably new angles on doing something only works to further all of our knowledge.

1 Like

+1 for the video! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@joe @NeilParfitt Here here! Does this solve my single cv to selectable voices within the ER woes?

Some fiddles!

4 Likes

not sure - it’ll cycle between the different mixers, but i have no idea how to assign it to a specific one on the fly.

Very nice ideas.

Thanks for the video @NeilParfitt! Very nice! I like the idea of adding the envelope followers and linear VCAs. Do you think that small amount of release provided by the env. follower is what masked the kind of noisy sound I was hearing occasionally?

With the idea of the offsets being the source, I guess it’s really possible to build a CV sequencer out of this as well. You were doing an arpeggieator but I guess it could also be running on full auto and pinging the ladder filter cutoff, or one of the EQ3 bands, or a manual grains start param, or whatever!!

@Lance_Drake, If you are looking to switch a single CV to different voices and have the switch automatically cycling at a rate set by you, I think this does the trick. If you want to have more manual control (no cycling) then I don’t think anyone’s figured that out.

I’ve written off being able to switch with a trigger. Just can’t think of a way. We’d need maybe a pingable counter unit or something?

I still haven’t given up on being able manually switch using a knob (the ER encoder or external offset CV). But so far haven’t quite got that to work…

1 Like

hmm - the noise went away as soon as i switched out the rational VCA. The EF shaping was more of a bonus to blend signals.

Yep, that;s how I was controlling pitch later in the video :slight_smile: - the whole thing was feeding a SIN v/oct input

After thinking about it way too much, I think I’ve come up with a better sequential switch patch. I’ve completely changed the concept of how this is built, and the new version has a couple of big advantages.

• The “step” that the switch is on can be controlled with an offset of 0-10V. So it can be patched to an external offset generator (e.g. a knob), and manually controlled.

• Therefore, it can also track any 0-10V signal, such as an internal/external LFO, or even an external step sequencer.

The ER-301 of course can be used to condition a signal to fit those parameters. Here’s a super quick phone video with it switching again between 4 sin oscillators tuned to a C7 interval, and the switching is driven by some complex wave form from a Shapeshifter in LFO mode. I’ll post more info soon as I can get it together into something coherent. :man_with_turban:

3 Likes

how’d you do it!? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m intrigued too… I really can’t think of another way :smile:

1 Like

All will be revealed soon. I promise I’m not keeping you in suspense for lulz. :slight_smile:

The patch is a little tricky (not so much to build but conceptually). After trying to make a Neil-style video where I build and explain on the fly, I reached the conclusion that I was just going to confuse anyone who watched it, including me.

So I’m working up a better way to explain this one. Just need a little time. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

2 Likes

if you’re on OSX or iPad iOS, OmniGraffle is great for making diagrams, flowcharts and things …

I’ve used Omnigraffle a bunch of times on the forum to plot out how I made a patch.

Below is my studio setups done in that app as as an example:

Of course, you can also import and wire jpgs so my thought is to do that as well with the new ER301 screen captures.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Oh, wow, those look extremely professional! Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

I’ve already started down the road with another app for this one, and I feel like I’m too invested to switch at this point. But I’ll definitely check that out for going forward!

This turned out to be a bit of a marathon. :smirk_cat:

I’m providing a set of presets, along with a video that explains how it works (conceptually), and then how to use it, along with a few examples. If you want to skip the technical overview of how/why the patch works and just see how to use the presets, skip to about the 8m mark in the video.

Hope you enjoy.

Sequential Switch v2

Seq Switch.zip (11.2 KB)

Part 1 - Conceptual Overview
Part 2 - Installation and Components
Part 3 - The Included Quicksave
Part 4 - Creating a Complex LFO with the Seq Switch
Part 5 - Switching CV Destinations

13 Likes

Hooray… I’ve been refreshing every 5 minutes since yesterday hehe :wink:

Watching now…

1 Like

Amazing, such a simple but brilliant implementation that is totally in keeping with the flexibility of the 301 - thanks for doing this @Joe - very much appreciated!!

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Thanks, @anon83620728! My pleasure - I learned a lot doing this. So I’ll assume I articulated how it works clearly enough that it made sense then? :slight_smile: I was kind of worried about that.

I kind of wish now in the video that I had swapped out that sine wave source controlling the step control function, because that’s really one of the things that makes this more interesting than the last patch - the ability for it to track to any CV input. But I guess that’s easy enough to do and shouldn’t need a demo.