Share your ER-301 Music

can’t wait to try this out

in this patch i have played manually with the granular synthesis of the er-301.
intellijel triatt a controls the starting point, triatt b the length of the granular.
voltage block controls 3 er-301 mixer-chanels, filter cutoff and pitch (granular).

10 Likes

Beautiful!

Good stuff :open_mouth::+1:t2:

I’m trying to wrap my head around this because it’s astounding :smiley:

https://instagram.com/p/BbczlFkHi5W/

2 Likes

I have not touched anything synth like for about two weeks because being so far out living and working in nature really freaks me out on returning to the modern electronic world, even after just one week away it takes some adjustment to re-align my mind and soul.

Anyway, I thought it about time I patched something up again, so had a little play for a couple of hours last night with the EvilTwin patch, here’s the jam, the main bassline and perc noises are all Evil Twin :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/kel/eviltwin

6 Likes

I like the percussion bits which sound like flying mud. Are those Rings strings?

1 Like

Hehe, I helped build the patch and didn’t know it could make some of those sounds. :headphones:

Should probably get back on that bank. Nice track!

I’m afraid it’s samples I’ve done somewhere in the past and I have absolutely NO IDEA what I used to make them. :smiley:

1 Like

I shall make my own.

Thanks @Joe

A low pass gate is essential for these kinds of sounds, Natural Gate featured here.

Listening back I’m getting some frequency crossover between the bass drum and the bass notes in places which kinda flattens it out. I must set up some side chain compression to get rid of these things because the frequencies are determined by randomness and well, sometimes they just clash, can’t be helped!

1 Like

Gahhh I was hoping I wasn’t going to love the sound of the Natural Gate :expressionless: - love it more/less/differently than an Optomix?

Well, it’s personal preference of course, but NG would be my choice :wink:

10/10 from me :slight_smile:

Not to go off topic here, but if Rabid Elephant means even half the stuff on their site, they are a compelling company, and one that has certainly gotten my attention.

And @anon83620728 you’ve put it to great effect here. As someone who has never had an Optomix (although I’m coming around to Make Noise) or any other LPG it is hard to not just want to have the Natural Gate.

2d

1 Like

If you are looking for a more controllable vactrol sound, it’s also worth checking out the pittsburgh modular lifeforms dynamic impulse filter (whew…long name!).

cc @anon83620728 and @tomk

1 Like

Thanks @jonny - I have the Endorphin.es Terminal - the original one with the vactrols - such a smart design, they have a set of instructions for swapping the vactrols out and encourage rolling your own - I like it a lot!!

p.s. @2disbetter I am not a big fan of Make Noise modules. some of them are good sure, don’t want to put them down this is just my preference, but I always struggle with them a bit, exceptions are Maths, Erbe Verb and Mysteron - all excellent in fact those three together make an excellent voice! I also have the new Wogglebug, it’s great, but I probably wouldn’t be too upset if it went even though I do use it a lot. I would probably be equally happy with other random sources - I am more than happy with the results from patching stuff up in the ER-301 for example. I really disliked the DPO and the Echophon even though in theory I should have liked them a lot.

edit:sorry, I forgot to say another really excellent vactrol sound can be found in Mutable Instruments Streams - similar idea, take the response of the typical vactrol, emulate it and provide control over its behaviour - I like it a lot!

FSS P.O.C.A. is a very stripped down but lovely little bit of kit to consider for LPG option as well. 4 vactrol gates in a 6hp module (passive).

1 Like

Wasn’t someone trying to construct a LPG custom unit for the 301? I would try it but I have little to compare the result to. I do have a DPLPG from MengQiMusic. No idea how that stacks up in the world of LPGs? It’s the only one I’ve ever used.

1 Like

Hear good things about the MengQi but have no experience myself! Maybe do something that features it? try running Evil Twin through it, should sound great!

If someone wants to tackle an LPG here is a directory with a paper (pdf) on implementing it in software, audio examples, and the max (gen) patch they built.
http://research.spa.aalto.fi/publications/papers/dafx13-lpg/

I guess it’s not something you can build in a custom unit though.

4 Likes