Should custom units use additional libraries and bespoke units like Accents?

I understand where you are coming from but i’m not sure if i agree with this analogy (even though I do the same).

Putting rosin on my bow and ensuring proper tightness is not the same as upgrading firmware and looking for broken dependencies.

2 Likes

Heheh, of course not - about as far removed from each other as you could get :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There may be a small problem with the Pan Mixer unit, if you try and load a preset that is built with one of these Pan Mixers into a mono chain, the ER-301 does not like it!

This is another aspect I hadn’t considered, I think this problem effectively breaks the OS - oops!

No known fix at time of writing, just don’t load units built with Pan Mixer into mono chains.

this is the place:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Persistence#Unit_Preset

i also added some instructions to the wiki page of the user curated stuff:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/User_Contributed_Presets

let me know whether these are clear enough and also how we could improve those
instructions (it got somewhat long…)

i wish i would have been that devious :grinning: it was certainly not what i had in mind (yet).
now, that i think of it: great idea!

until @odevices comes up with the install/removal/update mechanism:
would it be a good idea from time to time to collect interdependent .lua, .unit and .wav files into 3 central folders that could then be installed in three different places, i.e. one in /libs /presets and /samples? those could be downloaded in a single zip file but would have to be distributed to the right 3 places…

1 Like

If any thing is provided in a zip-file and i don‘t need to search for all necessary files - i‘m okey.

do you mean searching on the forum or on your sd card?

On the forum :wink: and follow/download several links/files.

i will say that having to

probably does bear quite an educational value…
having said that i will continue thinking about a zipped collection of user contributions that contain dependencies (i.e. .lua files) as well as necessary wav files. and who knows, if we think just long enough about the quick and dirty collection @odevices will turn up with the professional mechanism before we even started to put the collection together…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This OP question has gone through my head back and forth for quite some time. As of now, i feel like the frustration is alleviated greatly due to all the hard work done on the wiki.

Having links/info there(and on original custom unit posting) to which firmware version and which dependencies are needed to get these awesome CU’s working is a HUGE step to saving time in my opinion.

And i am guessing that by the time 1.0 is here, very much could be changed as far as which dependencies are needed to be installed separately.

Thank you for this discussion topic .

Why not host such dependencies on something like GitHub, which was created to facilitate this kind of collaboration?

yes i agree

That’s excellent and commendable. I’m thinking more of using GitHub to coordinate the collective effort of building up a standard library of base units.