Shuffling an entire sequence

Wondering if anyone has any good tricks for doing this en masse. In other words, taking an existing sequence and applying shuffle to the whole thing by batch editing every other step. I know you can do each step individually, but that seems laborious, and often you want to do the whole thing to see what it sounds like.

As an think about it I could see doing this using the ER-102s Group function.

Anyone got any good tricks?

For reference, I run my ER101 at 24ppqn so as not to have to multiply the clock.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge the groups function is the way to do this… interested in other responses though :slight_smile:

If you want to shuffle all the steps in a pattern ( or a track ) in a destructive way, select the pattern, then click and hold the maths button
then choose rnd for the value you want to shuffle with a max value you choose. then release the maths button.
Each time you will press the maths button youu’ll obtain the same effect.
If you want to shuffle all the steps in a non destructive way you have to use the ER102 Groups as mention before.

i think the op wanted to add swing to a given sequence, so the classic swing is to delay every other beat, eg on a 4/4 the second and fourth. i don’t know of a solution to add swing to an entire track or pattern easily, the fastest would probably be to select all the steps you want to delay and add them into a group and then add the duration for the swing. however as i’m typing this i thought of the euclidean mask you can apply to a pattern and it would be a very cool addition to have other masks, eg every second step, or every third, prime numbers etc. maybe this could be a feature @odevices?

Right. There is a feature in the ER101 that if you hold the duration button and rotate the right encoder it will add/ subtract from the step are on and subtract/ add on the next step. This is a useful feature for adding swing, but the downside is that you have to do one step at a time.

Am wondering if you can do this to an entire sequence easily.

Will play with the group function and will report back.

1 Like

I only have the ER 101 at the moment.
Plan to buy the ER 102.

If I do this. That means the swing can be controlled by CV, right?
:crazy_face:

Yes!

The only issue is that your sequence could become a little out of whack with other things. I can think of ways around it though.

Swing is normally delay of every other step so you want to add duration to one step and subtract from following. If you only add (or only subtract) your sequence will start varying in length versus other things which may or may not be an issue (it might be quite cool as things come in and out of phase)s

But if every other step was in one group and the others in another group you could do this with the same incoming mod CV.

Might be tricky to do but you could. It would also be nondestructive which is cool.

1 Like

I’m a little torn between choosing a high resolution for the steps and single step clocking.

With single step clocking, shuffle is easily added and manipulated using PNW - I mean it’s super easy and really intuitive and also playable with a CV input and then you can use the cv ins on the 102 for other things.

But the high resolution steps give more control of precisely where to place steps and do things like create slides and fine detailed work. But I find this makes non-manually programmed shuffling quite a bit more work.

What are others preferences? Am I missing something?

1 Like

This is exactly the intended method. Also, keep in mind, that when selecting steps for these “opposing” groups, the Euclidean masks are very helpful. Once you master the typical case of 2-group swing, you might want to experiment with 3 groups and so on. :wink:

1 Like

…amazing!