Simple CV Sequencer Unit Idea

Hi Brian, do you have any plans for an internal CV sequencer? I was daydreaming and thinking of something like this:

:heart_eyes:

EDIT: Oops - ignore that CV in label and arrow.

6 Likes

That is a nice layout. All of the internal modulation possibilities are so exciting.

digin on this, Neil

1 Like

Interesting, looks very nice :smile:

It’s not something I would have considered for this, to me the pleasure in using this module comes from external sources of control, but you did inspire me to get round to testing the theory of recording sequence CV as an audio file and I’m happy to report that this works perfectly with a single cycle waveform sampler as the sound source.

I haven’t got so far as to test slicing the CV sequence up and modulating the slice parameter, but I would have thought a nice way to get and endless variety of melodies in a particular scale could involve a Noise Source > S&H > Quantiser(?) > Slice Selector on a waveform containing your scale CV values.

1 Like

Yes!! I’ve had fun with that as well (the S/H into a quantizer). I hope that sometime in the future that there could be a simple scale oriented quantizer.

Imagine a CV sequencer like above, running into a looper. and overdubbing the CV randomly. Could be fun!

1 Like

Just realised; also need to record the Gate CV data too and have another sample player playing that for the amp envelope. Again really easy to do and works a treat :slight_smile:

There are probably far more imaginative uses for being able to play an audio file as any CV control data!

It’s got my brain cells fizzing a bit anyway :smiley:

+1

no doubt an internal seq would be fun and useful (and this is a great looking mock-up) - but i’d personally prefer to see a lot of other features prioritized over this one.

I agree as well…I’ve been looking forward more to audio manipulation units like a granulator or looping with a ‘pedal looper’.

Absolutely - this is just an idea, nothing more. However, I do feel something like this eventually would save from having to ‘pre-prep’ looping CV audio files in a sample player. Just another approach.

I found something else out; once everything is set up, the buffer of a looper can be saved out as a file and loaded into a regular sample player at the same time and the sample player will pick up on any new changes made to the file via the looper - presumably because the buffer file reference is shared between both sample units.

As well as all the other obvious benefits, this frees up the looper so that you can create another buffer, and just keep on going like that recording CV sequences and loading them into the sample player as needed.

This is much more precise and reliable than trying to record CV sequences into a sequencer (something I like doing) where the voltages must be converted into a number to be stored. This will be especially true if the sequence is not simply stepped voltages and includes slew, portamento or vibrato.

As a solution for saving out sequences generated randomly by say something like the Turing Machine, this makes loads of sense.

While the recorded CV can’t be sent back out, it can still be very useful inside the ER-301.

It’s a bit weird, not sure how much I will use it, but I like it!

Hey don’t forget now with 0.1.6pre, you can circumvent the lack of DC coupled outputs if you want to work with multiple tracks!!

IE: if you have a master CV signal going to the output of i.e.: track 1, open up the source in IE: TRACK 2 and set it to OUT1!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve tried recording cv sequencers it works a treat.

I can still see the benefit of having a little sequencer available internally but i agree there is more important things at the moment. I guess most of us probably have some sort of sequencer module in the rack.

2 Likes

Or even more than one hehe :smiley:

The more I learn about the internal routing of the ER-301 the more impressed I am!! It’s awesome - so much potential!

Me too! I didn’t quite get the custom unit concept at first either. Soon as I saw Neil’s video I realized the potential. Hands down the best module ever!

1 Like