Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Single Cycle Waveform Resources

I’ve already linked to the Adventure Kid Waveforms, but thought it might be nice to start a thread of other resources related to single cycle waveforms, including collections, tools and methods for creating them, so here goes:

AKWF

Awesome free collection of 4300 single cycle waveforms. All awesome and totally useable, most are quite complex and can be used on their own to easily create any kind of synth sound you like, but there’s a good selection of simpler building block waveforms too, however it should be noted for the pitch concerned that these are tuned to roughly D2+2 which may or may not bother you - hey they’re free!

Galbanum Architecture Waeforms

This looks interesting, I have no idea what they are tuned to and I haven’t used them as there is a price tag of $39 attached and I don’t know if I quite need 25,000 just yet! Has anyone used these?

http://www.galbanum.com/products/architecturewaveforms2010

Roll Your Own

Here’s a tutorial on how to create single cycle waveforms from Groovesizer.

http://groovesizer.com/make-your-own-single-cycle-waveforms/

I’m kind of intrigued about how easy it would be to create your own signal cycle waveforms using the ER-301 when the sample editing features are implemented/released.

Anyone know of any other resources for this kind of thing?

6 Likes

thank you for those links, very useful

The Galbanum package is top notch - I use it a lot and can’t recommend it enough!

5 Likes

Good to hear - I may be tempted because it does seem very comprehensive!

Do you have any idea on the tuning of these and how they relate to the ER-301 please?

I think what I am looking for is the convenience of being able to set the v/oct to -3600 on the sample player in the ER-301 and know that when I send ET voltages from the ER-101 that it will all just happily play nicely - maybe this is asking too much? Heheh :smiley:

Ultimately it doesn’t matter too much, but it would be rather splendid if it did work out like that!

1 Like

I just came across this again in the roadmap post on MW:

wavetable creation

• basically looper optimized for very short loops with pitch/loudness normalization
  • user sets start and stop points in a source sample
  • automatic end-point stitching for smooth looping
  • (user-assisted) pitch normalization of each wavetable/loop
  • (user-assisted) loudness normalization of each wavetable/loop
  • morph between multiple wavetables/loops
  • phase modulation
  • offset modulation

This is right up my street, super excited about the possibilities here. I’ve been able to get so far with the standard sample player, but having purpose built tools for doing this kind of work will be magic :smiley:

2 Likes

These are not single cycles, but I think they could be pretty interesting ER-301 fodder nonetheless. Pretty comprehensive bank of orchestral sounds, and free for many uses.

I didn’t notice at first but if you select an instrument type from the dropdown, there is an option up at the top of the sample list to download all the samples for that instrument as a zip file. The bulk download link doesn’t stand out very well.

3 Likes

I also think it’s great. I got them to use with a tabula rasa module.
It didn’t take long to realise that 25,000 is a lot to manage, so i wrote an app to preview them quickly and preview blending them etc (for pc, sorry mac people)

You may find it handy for the 301 too as a preview tool. Its free.

4 Likes

Hi!

Just a quick question: Do you guys just use the AKWF waveforms by detuning them a semitone+2 cents down each time or has somebody managed to transpose the waveforms themselves?

What is making you think that you have to transpose them?

I think the AKWF waveforms are, by default, tuned to a D plus 2 cents for some odd legacy reason. So the source material is the reason why.

1 Like

Ah I see. D2+2cents = 73.5Hz is exactly 600 samples at 44.1kHz. So I guess the creator just chose that round number in samples when he made them. You wouldn’t need to resample but just change the WAV header to specify another sample rate. For example to transpose to C1, you would set the sample rate to 19620Hz with sox like this:

sox -r 19620 infile.wav outfile.wav

Sox would be the natural way to batch process a large number of files.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s great! Would the resulting files work in any device? I mean, some sloppily coded sampler might struggle with something like that… or not?

(I’m in over my head here :slight_smile: )

If the sampler is going to arbitrarily re-pitch a sample then the original sample rate matters very little except to calculate the frequency of the raw waveform. So, I would expect it to work in the vast majority of vari-speed capable samplers.

1 Like

Thank you! Learned something very useful.

Edit: This project will have to wait for a bit. The XCode update necessary to install Sox is some 5 gigs and I’m away from home with terrible internet :slight_smile: After that, it’s learning about terminal commands and getting Sox to batch process stuff!

“Research has shown that using the ER-101 may not make your music sound better but it will make you smarter!” -anonymous

Maybe this should be updated to say ‘Orthogonal Devices’ rather than just the ER-101 :smiley:

1 Like

Just to report back and repeat the thank-you’s:

I managed to both transpose all the AKWF single cycles (with file structure) AND delete the non-transposed single cycles from their folders, leaving only the transposed files intact.

Having just managed this with Terminal, I feel like a golden god.

Here are the commands I used if someone else decides he wants to do this (needless to say, I don’t at all know what I’m doing, so you can’t hold me responsible for anything. I already managed to strip a bunch of my old .WAV files containing my songs from >10 years ago of all content, so consider yourself amused/warned!):

find . -name “*.wav” -print0 | while read -d $’\0’ file; do sox -r 39240 “$file” “${file%.wav}_c.wav”; done

find . ! -name “*_c.wav” -delete

3 Likes

This is great, I’ve been wondering about getting round to doing this!!

Thank you!!

1 Like

anything can be a single cycle waveform.
my personal fave is just any random vinyl and go through with a millisecond looper and find sweet spots.

4 Likes

I don’t use vinyl but this is my favorite method also.

Here, 750 single cycle waveforms of classic analog and FM synths including the ARP 2600

4 Likes