Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Slice on Onset

Not sure I understand Slice on Onset. I prepared a .wav file with silent gaps between sounds and wanted to use Slice on Onset to automatically insert slices where the silence is broken, but when I look at the results, the slices do not appear in meaningful places.

If this is not the intended use of Slice on Onset, what exactly is its functionality intended for? I would very much like to have an automated workflow for adding slices to sound files prepared in this manner.

Yea it is a bit wonky… not very usable for me too.
I think @odevices said he would optimize the algorithm.

I should clarify that I like the algorithm the way it is :wink: This algorithm is a spectral onset detector designed for more natural material such as field recordings where loudness does not indicate the beginning of a sound.

The “wonkiness” comes from using it on what is essentially a sample chain (sounds separated by perfect silence). In this case, a simple loudness thresholding detector will work which is what I will implement and add to the list of auto-slicers.

Okay, thats interesting!
Maybe i should have expressed myself better. In “not very usable” i meant the more conservative sample slicing the op was referring to.
As a matter of fact i use the auto slice often on field recordings to seed the slices in a somewhat random way, then loop several single fragments while modulating the shift parameter. Ever moving textures… It’s working great for this! And i guess the spectral detection method makes this sounding more organic… well now i know :slight_smile:

interesting and good to know the distinction.

@freqout perhaps you could arrange your silences on a grid in your prepared samples and use slice to grid?

i try to get my Head around this, can you describe your technic ? are you using the Sample Player Unit ? how do you loop more than one fragment ?

greetz

It’s just a custom unit with multiple sample players, or manual grain units, some random functions and lfo’s linked to a global chain for clock (to keep it somewhat rythmic) that slowly modulate shift, or in manual grains the length parameter. The new “swap samples” feature in 0.3.19 makes this a lot more straight forward. Link 4-6 sample players to a dummy file, then when loaded exchange that file with the desired sample.

sounds really interesting, thanks for the reply
may i ask did you like to share the Chain.lua with us here for further studying ?